Alexandria Travel Answers

change location

Alexandria Options For Staying There

by Loch-Lomond Online Now Oct 15, 2005 at 12:19 PM

My partner and I visited Old Town Alexandria back in 2002, I was at a conference in one of the major hotels. We both fell in love with the town, enjoying eating at various places in King Street (including a lovely little ice cream shop near the river), evening walks along the path next to the Potamic River, the ease of travelling to DC - it was such a thrill for both of us to see the White House - and just the general feel of the place. My partner became very ill after this break so it has a special connection for us. Whilst I have a longer term plan of being seconded to work in that part of the world with my partner's health now improved we are looking to see if we could have another vacation there in the short term (next year possibly). For this holiday we'd be taking our son who is 6 years old. My question relates to the options for staying in the Old Town. We've done the major hotel option but I believe part of the holiday experience is getting to know locals so I wanted to ask if any bed and breakfast type options existed where we could stay with a family and really experience the way of life. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance - Kevin.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Alexandria Options For Staying There

by Rixie Online Now Oct 15, 2005 at 9:51 PM

Here are some links:
    bbonline.com/va/alexandria.h...
    tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi...

Be aware that in the US, B&Bs tend to be more like luxury hotels than family homestays. Many of them, because of antique furnishings, expensive fabrics, and breakable items, are unsuitable for small children.

You may have more luck finding the atmosphere you're looking for with a small, friendly hotel. Or you might consider a home exchange -- see my Rotterdam accommodations tip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Alexandria Options For Staying There

by Loch-Lomond Online Now Oct 16, 2005 at 12:25 AM

Rixie,

Many thanks for this valuable information, I would never have guessed at the difference in approach to B&B. The family hotel option sounds interesting, ultimately I'm really keen to experience the local outlook as well as the tourist approach. You take care and again many thanks for the guidance.

Kind regards, Kevin.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Alexandria Options For Staying There

by Rixie Online Now Oct 16, 2005 at 10:17 AM

I hope that you and your family have a lovely visit.

• silasm's Profile Photo

RE: Alexandria Options For Staying There

by silasm Online Now Nov 5, 2005 at 9:20 AM

Hello,

You may want to check out www.hospitalityclub.org I have used this organizations several times to find a "homestay" and it turned out super for me. In old town I do recommend the Holiday Inn on King St in Alexandria.

Hope you have a good time.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines