Alexandria Travel Answers

change location
LisaMolden's Profile Photo

living in alexandria

by LisaMolden Online Now Oct 14, 2004 at 7:05 PM

hey, i'm lisa form Australia, in January i have the prospect of living in Alexandria, VA, for 1 yr as an au pair.........i know that it is close to washington, but what wiould travel times be, by train to places like New York, Chicago, Philadellphia, boston????? would any of them places be good for like a day trip? has anyone lived in alexandria, is it a nice area??? thanks guys...... e-mail @ : lisamolden@hotmail.com, please..tahnks

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Re: living in alexandria

by DanielBoos Online Now Oct 14, 2004 at 7:18 PM

I don't know Alexandria, VA. But for travel times and destinations look at www.amtrak.com and www.greyhound.com

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • miclev21's Profile Photo

Re: living in alexandria

by miclev21 Online Now Oct 14, 2004 at 7:23 PM

Alexandria is nice; depending upon where you settle. It can be expensive. Everything in the DC Metro area is. What are you looking to spend on rent? Or would that be covered by the au pair service? Train/bus to NY: 5 hours(thre is one that departs from Chinatown that is like30; but they are really really really nice buses!!!!!!) Train/bus to Philly: 3-4 hours; maybe shorter depending upon traffic Train/bus to Boston: 8-10 hours Fly to Chicago....... Richmond is only about 2 hours south. You can rent flex cars around here to go out to the mountains/etc. They also have buses that go out to the ocean and Atlantic City. There is also a local train that runs up to Baltimore. I don't think i could exist without my car.....

• jmhenry1123's Profile Photo

Re: Re: living in alexandria

by jmhenry1123 Online Now Oct 14, 2004 at 8:34 PM

Alexandria is a really nice area. I'm sure you will enjoy living there. It is also close enough to DC that maybe you can take the children you will be caring for to the museums and sights around DC. That is if they are not infants! A flight from Chicago to DC is only a couple of hours. You might be able to find an inexpensive flight online. The flight schedule is almost hourly arrivals and departures.

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Re: living in alexandria

by seagoingJLW Online Now Oct 15, 2004 at 6:23 AM

You will likeAlexandria very much. Where will you be living in Alexandria. Old Town has access to the Metro. The West End (where I live) has buses that go into DC. You can get trains at Union Station (which is on the Metro) that go to Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York. You can have a great time. Joan

• LisaMolden's Profile Photo

by LisaMolden Online Now Oct 16, 2004 at 11:47 PM

thanks for your msg...so u live in alexandria, well, my potential host family i'm not sure in what area, but is old town like actual houses or just for tourists sort of thing?, i'm not sure they said about 25 minutes on train to d.c.... umm, is Alexandria like good to walk around and parks and stuff for exercise? whats arouns richmond, is that good for a day trip? thanks again for you information :) take care Lisa

by seagoingJLW Online Now Oct 17, 2004 at 6:05 AM

Old Town has houses and condos as well as restaurants and landmark buildings. It is a fun place, but very congested. Personally, I prefer the West End. At leaset I can park my car. Joan

• Re: Re: living in alexandria

by va757 Online Now Nov 7, 2004 at 2:43 PM

What type of apartment can you get from the 850-1000 price range near/in Old Town? Are all rentals in NOVA high-rises? Are there any other areas moderately price near Old Town? Proximity to Old Town is important because I might be taking classes in that area soon.

by seagoingJLW Online Now Nov 8, 2004 at 10:08 AM

Try this website: apartments.com/search/oasis.... Joan

by seagoingJLW Online Now Nov 8, 2004 at 10:09 AM

Try this website: apartments.com/search/oasis.... Joan