Alexandria Travel Answers

change location

Relocating

by heavenleigh Online Now May 30, 2003 at 7:00 AM

I was hoping to receive some advice about relocating to the Alexandria area. Job leads? Housing? Transportation? Help! I visited the Alexandria / Crystal City area briefly last summer and I fell in love. Now I've decided that it would be a great place to live. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in the area that can give me a heads up. Any advice? I look forward to hearing from you.....

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

Re: Relocating

by zuriga Online Now May 30, 2003 at 9:01 AM

I have a few friends who live nearby and have visited there a bit. Unfortunately, it's a very expensive area. I'm sure others here will know more than I do...the transportation always seemed good.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cheskey's Profile Photo

Re: Relocating

by cheskey Online Now Jun 24, 2003 at 10:31 AM

Hi I live on the border of Alexandria/Arlington and hopefully can give you some worthwhile advice. The first person to reply was correct, the area is not cheap, but with some searching it is liveable. If you plan to buy, prepare to shell out some money, I actually rent a townhouse with roommates, so that makes it alot cheaper. The market is not great here at the time, but I have a few friends who were laid off and found work rather quickly. (This was in the IT field) Check www.washingtonpost.com and www.citypaper.com for job leads in your field. These are also a good place to look for apartments and or housing. Transportation to/from Alexandria can be a bit tricky. If you decide to live in Crystal City or close to Old Town there will likely be a metro stop close by. Otherwise if you work in the city (DC), you will have to catch a bus to the metro or take 395. 395 is terrible coming out of Alexandria (takes me anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours to go 5 miles depending on traffic, wrecks, etc. However, coming from Atlanta you are probably more than used to situations like that. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. Good Luck.

• canadaczechmauigirl's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Relocating

by canadaczechmauigirl Online Now Apr 2, 2006 at 10:49 AM

My husband and I are also moving to the area. Looking to pay around1500/month in rent.
    What do you think? Can we get a decent place, close to the metro in Alexandria? Are we better off looking in the city?
    Is Alexandria nice to live in? What do people do for fun in Alexandria?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines