Alcudia Travel Answers

change location

Clothes and Shoes in August!

by bruffy Online Now May 10, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Hi this is our first time in Spain and on the Island. I know August will be hot but I am not sure how the evenings are? Do you suggest a few changes of shoes for our tired feet. We are all in our fifties and are really looking forward to this holiday.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Clothes and Shoes in August!

by xymmot Online Now May 10, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Definetly find a good pair of walking shoe...but if you are not formal, some dress up tennis shoes are great also. there are many cobblestone roads in the old towns and many streets to walk. I was there in July and it's hot, but it does cool down and it did rain some days, but not that much that I needed a jacket. I went to Palma de Mallorca , around Barcelona and the coast by train, so weather wise , it will be hot. Enjoy the sights and take in the culture. Find out what events are going on in the town and join in. There is good foods and restaurants all over town if you look around for them....even the fast food chains like Mc Donalds or KFC have nice outdoor pations to hang out, but over there, the burgers and fries are expensive...but still many people go there besides the tourist. I stick to culture food and Pallea. Me sure to find the open air food markets in each town and you will find the center of all activities there.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now May 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM

We've been 4 times to Alcudia - the resort is a mile or so downhill from the "old town" - and the resort itself is split between the main tourist area from the Marina Southwards, with a bit of a gap, and then another tourist area further on towards Caan Picafort. Which hotel or apartment will you be staying in?
    Women would tend to wear sandals or fairly open shoes as it will be as hot as any Spanish resort in August and most bars, shops and restaurants are very informal and don't expect anything more formal on your feet!
    Men tend to wear light shoes, trainers even, or sandals again.
    (We are in our fifties!)
    Me? I wear those substantial sandals with good soles, and velcro straps - Reebok, Adidas, Nike for example (mine are Clarks!)
    My wife wears flip-flops a lot or sandals in the warm evenings.
    If you like walking, then these sports-style sandals would suit you both unless you are very fussy - or those light shoes with holes in - or that style called deck shoes?
    The evenings are very warm especially in crowded streets but many shops and bars have air conditioning. The marina area is lovely and the old town is really charming (but not much there apart from a few bars and restaurants in the evenings)
    I'll email a link which may help or th emany pages in here will give you a better idea.

• Fili.it's Profile Photo

by Fili.it Online Now May 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Wear sandals and flip flops! Or...go barefoot on the beach!

Enjoy Spain!

• Re: Clothes and Shoes in August!

by bruffy Online Now May 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Thank you all for you quick answers they are all helpful. And any links you think I would find interesting I would love to have.

Thanks Again
    Bruffy

• KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now May 11, 2011 at 12:05 AM

If you enjoy a walk, one of Europes finest wetlands is just outside Alcudia at Parc natural de S’Albufera. The reserve is huge and typical of Spain is largely managed for the wildlife rather than people. There is decent little visitor centre though and even after closing time you can walk in and out on the main entrance track. Make sure you carry your own water though as the last time I was there the centre didn't sell any.

There's no official web site, but this one has a copy of the visitor map - http://taib.fsd.nl/contact.html

• Re: Clothes and Shoes in August!

by danielle1400 Online Now May 11, 2011 at 2:19 AM

I would take a few cardingans/light weight jackets for at night as it would get slightly colder at night in august

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now May 11, 2011 at 5:53 AM

If you fancy an organised trip, the the "Wooden Train" is a smashing day out.
    Our trip included a coach to just North of Palma, a trip on th ewooden train through the tunnels and mountains, to a view point above Soller. Then on to Puerto Soller and a trip on the "Wooden Tram" down to the harbour. This was followed by a boat trip to Sa Callobra (Beautiful!) and then a coach back home with the obligatory stop at some leather factory/shop (20 minutes only!)

By the way, you are about as far from the capital, Palma, as is possible to get and the local buses take at least 80 minutes. By the time you get there after breakfast, lots of shops and the cathedral may be closed for siesta.... so make sure you know the later buses back to Alcudia! (Or do an organised trip if you want to visit there)
    If you fancy a long walk, then you can walk from Alcudia old town to Puerta Pollensa (but get the bus back!)

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

by Paisleypaul Online Now Jun 1, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Just back from Alcudia on Sunday and good page here

facebook.com/pages/Mallorca-...

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Aug 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Great pictures on Facebook, but where I stayed was nothing compare to the hotels

cheers tommy x

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines