Albuquerque Travel Answers

change location

new to albuquerque, can't figure out road layout

by djtorture Online Now Oct 17, 2003 at 4:58 PM

I just moved to Albuquerque from Portland, OR and if anyone can help me with the city layout I would appreciate it. I know Central divides N/S and that Commercial divides E/W, but I can't find Commercial on any map. Is 2nd St actually Commercial? What is the deal with the numbering of addresses? Where is zero, where do the numbers start? I've been here three weeks and am completely frustrated at the apparant lack of logic in this town. I miss the simplicity of Portland's layout, I guess I'm just spoiled. Thank you for your help.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • JamesABQ's Profile Photo

Re: new to albuquerque, can't figure out road layout

by JamesABQ Online Now Oct 25, 2003 at 1:45 AM

Using the Interstate is easier. I-25 divides the city East to West and I-40 divides the city North to South. The official seperation is Central- N, S, and Broadway- E, W, (not Central and Commercial). Central and Broadway meet in Downtown Albuquerque. It takes some getting used to but you'll get it eventually. Wow Portland to Albuquerque eh. You went from extremely wet and green to extremely dry and brown. What a change. Not many people like the desert climate, but I love it. Hope you can adjust and enjoy your stay.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines