Albufeira Travel Answers

change location

Catholic church in olhos d'agua or albufeira

by Ellie1990 Online Now Feb 28, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Can anyone tell me if there is a catholic church in olhos d'agua (where we sill be staying in April), or ifnot if there is one in albufeira and the Sunday mass times if possible. Also if we have to go to albufeira will there be a bus service or will we need a taxi (if it is not too much trouble any idea how much taxi would cost from olhos d'agua to albufeira). ThAnks any answers appreciated

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Catholic church in olhos d'agua or albufeira

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 28, 2010 at 5:16 PM

In looking at www.masstimes.org, I am pointed to the Diocese of Algarve (Faro) website (only in Portuguese).

It seems that there is not a church in Olhos d'Água, or if there is, the only masses are in the evening on Sunday (5 p.m. in the summer, and 5 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Sundays in the winter).

It looks like the regular services are held in Albufeira, as you suspected:

Sábado: 18:00, 22:00 (Verão), Domingo: 09:30, 11:00, 19:00 (Verão) / 09:30, 11:00 (Inverno)
    (Saturday: 6 p.m., 10 p.m. (Summer),
    Sunday: 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 7 p.m. (Summer)/ 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. (Winter))

The Diocesan website gives the churches info as:
    Nossa Senhora da Conceição (Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception)
    Travessa da Igreja Matriz 4 (this is a street in the city center of Albufeira)
    Albufeira
    tel: 289 585 526
    paroquialbufeira@sapo.pt
    (from diocese-algarve.pt/site/inde... )

Armed with this info, you should be able to
    (1) email the parish to confirm mass times (I hope they'll read English, but maybe not...note that all Portuguese can read and usually understand Spanish, even though for political and cultural reasons, it's not their first choice), or
    (2) give this info to your hotel staff (or whomever) and have them investigate times and transportation for you...I don't know how well the buses will be running Sunday morning, almost certainly a reduced schedule.

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

Re: Catholic church in olhos d'agua or albufeira

by cubsur Online Now Mar 1, 2010 at 3:26 AM

There are no direct buses from Olhos D'Agua into the old town area of Albufeira. The Igreja Matriz (Parish Church) sits in the middle of the narrow and steep streets of the old town centre. The nearest you will get by bus is almost half a mile away and there's a steep hill to walk up. A taxi would cost you 7 or 8 Euros.

On a Sunday morning the only buses towards Albufeira from Olhos D'Agua are at these times : 0737, 0845, 0922, 1000 and 1052. The journey to the nearest stop (Modelo) takes about 10 minutes.

As I said these don't go down into the old town, so you would have to get off at the Modelo shopping centre and from there it's about a 12 - 15 minutes walk down the hill into the old town, across the square and part way back up the other side to the church.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Albufeira