Albania Travel Answers

change location

Driving from Peshkopi to Kukes

by bferris Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Has anyone driven this route recently? Is it possible in an ordinary car (i.e. not a four wheel drive)

Any information gratefully received, including recommendations for accommodation in both towns.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Driving from Peshkopi to Kukes

by bferris Online Now May 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Well I can now answer my own questions! There is a good, newly built (about two years ago) tarmac road from Kukes to Peshkopi, although it does not yet appear on any maps. It goes via Bushtrice and was built to service a small hydroelectric plant built there at the same time. It proceeds south through Shumbat and Kastrioti and takes less than two hours at a gentle pace. In Peshkopi I stayed at the hotel Piazza for 4000 leks (about £25) This is a newly-built hotel and is in first-class condition with super kingsize beds.

I returned to Tirane on the old road via Bulqize and Burrel.Some of this has been improved, but much is still in very poor condition, although regularly used by furgons. Most of the locals prefer to take the road from Maqellare across the border into Macedonia, down to Struga and then back into Albania, reaching Tirana via a good road to Elbasan.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Albania Travel Answer Locations