Albania Travel Answers

change location

Date of national folklore festival

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

HI - some internet sources say that the festival takes place is Gjirokastra (spelling?) every five years and some every four years. The last one definitely took place in 2009 - so when is the next one - this year or the next? It is crazy, the discrepancy, but the more reliable sources like Wikipedia say 2014 - In any case I am eager to go - Thank you, Jean

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Date of national folklore festival

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Hi - I googled a little and found this - http://www.balkansgeotourism.travel/content/gjirokastra-gjirokast%ABr-folk-festival-albania/seeCACDE0569BAAE661F. Looks like it is this year. There is an email address at the bottom so hopefully you can confirm. Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Date of national folklore festival

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Thank you! That was fast! Well, at least they give a specific date, unlike the others. I have written them and will continue to research, because when I was looking last night, it was about fifty-fifty for each year!! I can continue to check into it too, of course, maybe on an official Albanian tourist site? Take care, Jean

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Hi - I have found a couple of other sites - tourism-in-albania.com/event... - and libertas too - that say it is this year...Well, I will keep looking! Official websites appear to be rare....

by Lonbre Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Hi there, I just found this link of a folk tour, it looks interesting http://www.balkansgeotourism.travel/content_detail.php?uid=see7AB43FDFE794F8835 I also looked for a date, but nothing certain yet. It will be this year, it is usually once in four years, but probably in autumn this year. They have elections in June, so nothing is certain about Gjirokastra festival before then. Cheers

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Thanks Lonbre - You live in London, but are you Albanian or very well acquainted? I say that because of the elections speculation - It is an important festival so I assume it always happens, no matter what is going on politically. However, I know zero about Albanian politics! I have found an apartment but won't reserve until it is sure. It usually takes place the end of September - I suppose because it is too hot in summer, when festivals usually take place (holiday time, school vacations, people freer to attend) - or maybe the artists are busy elsewhere with other festivals. Well, I appreciate your reply, and if you hear anything else, please don't hesitate to reply again! :) best wishes, Jean

by jeanfinney Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Hi everyone - I just received this reply from Gjirokastra, looks like we will have to plan for next year: "I am sorry to disappoint you but we are not going to have the festival in Gjirokastra this year. I had the confirmation from the Ministry of Culture the it its postponed for the next year. It seems that Wikipedia is correct." Have a good year! Jean

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Albania Travel Answer Locations