Alaska

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Experience Kodiak Island on your own?

Kodiak Island Yesterday

I'd like to do some bear viewing, hiking, fishing, and other fun stuff while on Kodiak Island. Most of those activities are quite costly with a guide. Is it possible to experience what Kodiak has to offer in term of wildlife viewing without a guide on my own? I appreciate any info. Thanks.

more
    • Pete's Place

North Pole Apr 14, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Just wondering if old Pete's Place was still around at 24 Mile Old Richardson Highway?? Haven't been there or heard anything about it since '75 - '76. Loved that place.

more
    • Men's Cuff Bracelet Ketchikan

Ketchikan Apr 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM

One of the craft shops on a main street about a block from the pier had a great leather and copper men's cuff bracelet--Alaskan made. Been trying to find the shop and bracelet. Cheers.

more
    • Drag racing

Palmer Apr 9, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Has anyone attended the drag races in Palmer in June?

more
    • free or cheap camping

Denali National Park and Preserve Apr 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM

I will be working at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge this season and would like to show up a few days early. I am looking for free or cheap camping very near the park entrance as I will not be bringing a vehicle.

more
    • crowded decks

Alaska Yesterday

planning may NCL cruise and worried about how crowded public deck areas are for viewing areas? thanks

more
    • Experience Kodiak Island on your own?

Kodiak Island Yesterday

I'd like to do some bear viewing, hiking, fishing, and other fun stuff while on Kodiak Island. Most of those activities are quite costly with a guide. Is it possible to experience what Kodiak has to offer in term of wildlife viewing without a guide on my own? I appreciate any info. Thanks.

1 Answer Yesterday
    • crowded decks

Alaska Yesterday

planning may NCL cruise and worried about how crowded public deck areas are for viewing areas? thanks

4 Answers Yesterday
    • Pete's Place

North Pole Apr 14, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Just wondering if old Pete's Place was still around at 24 Mile Old Richardson Highway?? Haven't been there or heard anything about it since '75 - '76. Loved that place.

1 Answer Apr 14, 2015 at 10:03 PM
    • Men's Cuff Bracelet Ketchikan

Ketchikan Apr 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM

One of the craft shops on a main street about a block from the pier had a great leather and copper men's cuff bracelet--Alaskan made. Been trying to find the shop and bracelet. Cheers.

1 Answer Apr 15, 2015 at 2:47 AM
    • Drag racing

Palmer Apr 9, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Has anyone attended the drag races in Palmer in June?

3 Answers Apr 10, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    • free or cheap camping

Denali National Park and Preserve Apr 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM

I will be working at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge this season and would like to show up a few days early. I am looking for free or cheap camping very near the park entrance as I will not be bringing a vehicle.

3 Answers Apr 15, 2015 at 3:12 AM
    • From North Carolina to Alaska

Alaska Mar 24, 2015 at 6:31 AM

My fiance', cat, dog, and myself are pulling my travel trailer through Canada to Alaska. I know gas prices are high up north but what would be the cheapest route through Canada to get to Alaska? Most scenic route? Also i have my carry permit in NC and it's reciprocal in AK but how do i get my pistol and rifle up there? Thanks! Any help and\or advice would be VERY helpful!

10 Answers Mar 30, 2015 at 9:41 PM
    • Train near town?

Talkeetna Mar 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM

We're trying to plan a short trip from Anchorage to either Talkeetna or Denali with our 6 year old granddaughter in July. If we take the train, are there taxis to get to town, lodging, restaurants, etc.? Any ideas on which place would be more interesting for a child? Also, is the higher priced Goldstar train car worth the extra cost? Not sure what the Adventure class is like. Would it be better to rent a car? We would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

12 Answers Mar 26, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    • Electronics

Soldotna Mar 23, 2015 at 7:05 AM

Is there any electronics stores close by?

3 Answers Mar 31, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    • scootmobile harbours alaska cruise

Seward Mar 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Dear people.

I want to make a cruise trip from Vancouver to Seward..

Our problem is , can we use scootmobile in the harbours and the towns  we passing.

Most of the times we are on board.

If possible a as most detailt answer please.

with kindly regards Theo Salden

2 Answers Mar 23, 2015 at 3:49 PM
    • Just a few questions

Alaska Mar 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM

I will be traveling to ALASKA by vehicle in May till August/September from the lower 48/49.

1. Is it worth the hassle getting gun permits to travel through Canada?

I have always had firearms and don't travel very much. I know the basics about bears and moose and have no intentions of a bad encounter and would never want to shoot one. I will be traveling with a camper and know the food rules, making noise while hiking, etc. I'm not really sold on bear spray or bear bangers though, do they really work? I plan on camping in remote spots, I know most of ALASKA is remote.

2. I will be traveling alone and feel much more secure carrying a firearm for personal protection in case I am in a bad situation, mainly with humans.

Am I being overly paranoid?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

18 Answers Mar 30, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    • Non touristy activities

Alaska Mar 10, 2015 at 9:11 PM

My husband and I, along with our 9 month old will be cruising to Alaska in May. My husband doesn't like to do touristy stuff so I am looking for some input on non touristy activities to do in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. The activity needs to be short enough to fit with the cruising schedule. Also any ideas for Seward or Talkeetna would be awesome too. Thanks

6 Answers Mar 31, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    • arctic Circle Alaska

Alaska Feb 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Spending 5 nights in Fairbanks This March with my husband. Chena Hot springs is booked. Where should we stay? We would like to do an Arctic circle tour. Is it worth the money to fly and overnight in coldfoot, possibly visit a village? Its very expensive. But i dont want money to be my whole concern...Is this really a trip of a lifetime?

3 Answers Feb 20, 2015 at 2:06 AM
    • filipdebont's Profile Photo

Bear spray / Bear bangers

Alaska Jan 30, 2015 at 3:56 AM

On my next Alaska roundtrip, I will be tenting and do some hike. As it is bear country, I read that it is wise to take bear spray and/or bear bangers.
      Upon arrival in Anchorage, whe can I best buy bear spray and bear bangers?

Kind regards - Filip

8 Answers Feb 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM
    • filipdebont's Profile Photo

Shuttle service to Mccarthy/Kennecott in Wrangell-St Ellias NP

Alaska Jan 21, 2015 at 8:51 AM

There are two different shuttle services towards Mccarthy,
      - with the first you have 5h30 of time to discover Mccarthy and Kennecott (roundtrip from Glennalen : 109$)
      -second gives 8 h of time (roundtrip from Kenny lake : 129$ - 50$ for pick-up from Glennalen)

My question is : how much time is needed to discover Mccarthy and Kennecott (+ guided tour Mil)
      I read that you also can make a short hike 2 miles) towards a glacier from kennecot, is worth the effort.

Kind regards (I will be visiting Alaska next summer) - Filip

7 Answers Jan 27, 2015 at 11:41 AM
    • 3 days extra on the road or take the kenai fjords boat

Alaska Jan 18, 2015 at 7:35 AM

My wife and I are traveling from the UK in July for a 3 week holiday in Alaska.

We have booked on to the Kenai fjords trip from seward on one of the first few days we are in alaska. But we already have a 7 day cruise at the end of our tour with princess cruises.

After the Kenai fjords we are to go back to anchorage to pick up a rental car, we then have 6 days in the car to make our way to fairbanks (glenn highway direction, we're coming back the other way on the train).

If we did not have the Kenai fjords trip at the start of our holiday we would have 3 extra days on the road and could head off inland the day after we arrive. We want to get an gravel track car rental (yes I know these are pricey so if anyone knows of the cheapest rental company that lets you take the cars on the gravel tracks then that info would also be useful) and we want to do some of the more hard to get to places like mcarthy and the highest road in alska etc.

Do you think we would get more out of our trip if we had the extra 3 days on the road or are we really missing something special if we were to cancel the kenai fjords trip, bearing in mind we have 7 days on a cruise at the end (think the cruise goes to glacia bay etc , all the way to vancouver.

Thanks in advance

4 Answers Mar 10, 2015 at 2:17 PM
    • Park Location Question

Old Harbor Jan 16, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Where is Glacier View Park located in Old Harbor?

1 Answer Jan 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM
    • What to do in Skagway?

Alaska Jan 11, 2015 at 3:30 PM

I want to see the summit but do not want to take the 8 hr train ride. We will be taking train into Denali. Do not want to do anything too touristy like lumberjack show or pan for gold. Is the fast ferry ride to Haines worth it when we are going to be on a cruise ship through the Inside Passage anyway. I thought about going on the 1.5 hour bus ride to the Summit and the fast ferry to Haines. Are there better things (nature) that I am missing? Doing floatplane and glacier tour in other ports. If I just go on the 1.5 hr bus ride to the summit am I missing scenery that I will terribly regret later. Even though I would like to go to the Yukon, I do not want to do the major tourist thing and I just do not want to do a 6 to 8 hour train tour since I will be spending much time on the train later in Denali. I would like to kayak but travelling companions not so much so that is out. We do like to hike and see beautiful nature. All suggestions welcome.

5 Answers Jan 12, 2015 at 10:51 AM
    • Float plane

Juneau Jan 11, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Going to Juneau in June. Debating whether to take a 5 glacier float plane tour or just go to Mendenhall Glacier?? I realize these are two different experiences. We will be on a cruise doing just the inside passage for the week. Guess I am wondering if we will see enough of glaciers on the cruise. Thanks so much. Of course any suggestions are appreciated.

2 Answers Jan 11, 2015 at 8:50 PM
    • Looking for extended stay car rental and lodging options in Anchorage

Anchorage Jan 11, 2015 at 8:03 AM

I'm coming to Anchorage in June-July 2015 on a pharmacy student internship and am determining a budget for extended-stay lodging, food and transportation. Can anyone offer suggestions on affordable/low-cost car rental in Anchorage? I can't afford $100+/wk that major car rental companies will charge.

3 Answers Jan 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM
    • cruise cabins

Alaska Jan 4, 2015 at 1:45 AM

How important is it to have a cabin with a balcony when taking a cruise in Alaska?

7 Answers Jan 5, 2015 at 11:40 AM
    • Likelihood of seeing Northern Lights in June

Anchorage Jan 3, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Hi, we are thinking of coming to Alaska in June 2015 and wondered what the likelihood of seeing the northern lights would be? Or if there was any chance at all?

6 Answers Mar 31, 2015 at 10:34 AM
    • Whale watching tours

Juneau Dec 30, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Is there a particular time of day (morning, noon, afternoon) that is better for seeing whales. I heard they were more active in the early mornings. Will be travelling last week of May. Is there fog to consider in the mornings.

4 Answers Jan 5, 2015 at 12:05 PM
    • Anchorage Alaska

Anchorage Dec 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Is there a perfect time to see a little daylite, a little snow and the northern lights?

4 Answers Dec 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    • Transportation

Kodiak Dec 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I'm going to be living in Kodiak from February to May. I won't have a car. Is there any public transportation? What do you suggest for me to get around?

18 Answers Jan 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM
    • mamajoa9's Profile Photo

visa for Alaskan cruise

Alaska Nov 26, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Do I still any other type of visa if I already have US visa to go on a cruise to Alaska (round trip from Seattle back to Seattle)
      Thanking you in advance for your help

• angel hugs and blessings*

6 Answers Nov 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM
    • Train or rental car?

Denali National Park and Preserve Nov 16, 2014 at 1:42 PM

My 16 year old daughter and I are going to Denali in June, arriving at noon in Anchorage on a Wednesday, then flying back on Sunday. We were going to rent a car (for $250) as soon as we got there, then spend two days and three nights at Denali before heading back Saturday. But now that I found out that the way to see Denali is by tour bus since you can't really drive around in the park, I'm starting to think that taking the train both ways makes more sense. (And I understand we can't do a car one way and train one way, as there are no car rental places in the park). Taking the train is $650, it also means we'd need to spend the first day in Anchorage without a car since the train leaves in the morning. Plus it means we'd basically be spending one day at Denali, and four out of five days traveling. We've booked the car, but I'm starting to lean toward splurging for the train, and wondering if there are other pros & cons to consider. Also wondering what we might do during our day in Anchorage.

11 Answers Nov 19, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    • Dream Vacation

North Pole Nov 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Traveling from Arizona to Alaska along the coast line all the way up. Would like to make it to North Pole, Alaska for the Grandchildren. (thought that would be fun for them as well for us that are young at heart) We are planing the trip to take from June 1, 2014 to July 31, 2014 (with many stops along the way) Any suggestions.heartsmileyyes

6 Answers Dec 24, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    • TatyanaA's Profile Photo

Alaska - best time and place to come?

Alaska Oct 29, 2014 at 12:42 AM

I'm dreaming for a long time to visit Alaska. I'm thinking about 7 days cruise and explore onland (maybe week more).

I wanted to book BROOKS LODGE for 2 nights maybe, but they have no places for July and september, and honestly told that on the days left (june till 26) seeing bears is not guaranted. So what are my other options? Is it the only place to see bears?
      I know about one-day flights, and want to go, but they never guarantee not the bears, not the weather. So I wanted a place to stay for a couple of nights to rise my chances...
      So I am in need of experts help...

9 Answers Nov 11, 2014 at 9:45 AM
    • TatyanaA's Profile Photo

Best time and best place to come

Alaska Oct 29, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I'm dreaming for a long time to visit Alaska. I'm thinking about 7 days cruise and explore onland (maybe week more).
      I wanted to book BROOKS LODGE for 2 nights maybe, but they have no places for July and september, and honestly told that on the days left (june till 26) seeing bears is not guaranted. So what are my other options? Is it the only place to see bears?
      I know about one-day flights, and want to go, but they never guarantee not the bears, not the weather. So I wanted a place to stay for a couple of nights to rise my chances...

1 Answer Oct 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM