Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• kkashyap's Profile Photo

Road Travel

Alaska Aug 8, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Hi

We are planning a trip to Alaska between Sep 3 and 15 this year. We are only interested in "seeing" what nature offers and not doing much of anything else, because of certain constraints.

Our plan is to Rent a car and spend 2 days in Anchorage. Next head north to Denali Park and thence to Fairbanks. Spend a day there and drive down Richardson Hwy and soak in all the splendor. Am not sure if Tok is worth visiting, yet. Go down to McCarthy, if it is worth going to McCarthy else go to Valdez instead & spend a night there. We will then go up and and turn west from GlennAllen. Check out Palmer - go to Portage/Whittier and do the Glacier tour there. Head to Seward, Cooper Landing, Kenai etc. Check each place towards Homer & see every heavenly spot along the way. Go back to Anchorage and fly back.

Are we biting more than we can chew, as I know it is a lot of driving and plenty of retracing steps. But there is no other alternative, as riding a ferry from Valdez would deprive us of the Glenn Hwy pleasure. Please let me know if there is a better way to see the places on our list. We thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Regards
      Krishna

more
    • solo female hiker

Denali State Park Aug 19, 2015 at 11:06 AM

I'm a 31yr old solo female hiker going to denali in two weeks by train. Im not very experienced in backpacking/ camping,and am on a strict budget. What gear do you most suggest is absolutely essential in your experience, and what trails, areas to camp do you suggest?

more
    • solo female hiker

Denali State Park Aug 19, 2015 at 11:06 AM

I'm a 31yr old solo female hiker going to denali in two weeks by train. Im not very experienced in backpacking/ camping,and am on a strict budget. What gear do you most suggest is absolutely essential in your experience, and what trails, areas to camp do you suggest?

12 Answers Aug 19, 2015 at 6:19 PM
    • kkashyap's Profile Photo

Road Travel

Alaska Aug 8, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Hi

We are planning a trip to Alaska between Sep 3 and 15 this year. We are only interested in "seeing" what nature offers and not doing much of anything else, because of certain constraints.

Our plan is to Rent a car and spend 2 days in Anchorage. Next head north to Denali Park and thence to Fairbanks. Spend a day there and drive down Richardson Hwy and soak in all the splendor. Am not sure if Tok is worth visiting, yet. Go down to McCarthy, if it is worth going to McCarthy else go to Valdez instead & spend a night there. We will then go up and and turn west from GlennAllen. Check out Palmer - go to Portage/Whittier and do the Glacier tour there. Head to Seward, Cooper Landing, Kenai etc. Check each place towards Homer & see every heavenly spot along the way. Go back to Anchorage and fly back.

Are we biting more than we can chew, as I know it is a lot of driving and plenty of retracing steps. But there is no other alternative, as riding a ferry from Valdez would deprive us of the Glenn Hwy pleasure. Please let me know if there is a better way to see the places on our list. We thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Regards
      Krishna

6 Answers Aug 9, 2015 at 8:56 AM
    • Travel Alaska from 18th to 25th Sep

Alaska Jul 28, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Hi All,

I am thinking to visit Alaska from 18th to 25th Sep. I am interested in hikie, join tour or watch wild animals in Denali and other national park, , northern light, Glacier Cruise and any adventure or activity tours.
      However, I heard that they are going to close around middle of September and it start to have snow.

Is it possible to enjoy above things during 18th to 25th? If it is difficult, are there any recommended options I can enjoy in Alaska? If it is necessary or recommendation, it is possible to rent a car.

Tips / Recommendatios are highly appreciated, thanks,

4 Answers Jul 28, 2015 at 11:16 AM
    • Sea Kayaking in Seward

Seward Jul 7, 2015 at 10:59 PM

My husband wants to go sea kayaking. We've never kayaked before. My other concern is that I weigh about 240 lbs. and am worried about fitting into a kayak. Is this even a possibility for me or should I just send him to do it without me? Is there a guide/company that you recommend?

2 Answers Jul 8, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    • filipdebont's Profile Photo

Crossing the border wit a rental car

Alaska Jul 2, 2015 at 9:18 AM

I have a reservation for a rental car (+ CDW + SLI insurance)

I want the cros the border to Yukon (Canada), do I need an extra Insurance?

Regards

Filip

6 Answers Jul 5, 2015 at 2:02 AM
    • Flightseeing from Fairbanks, AK

Fairbanks Jul 1, 2015 at 1:41 PM

what is the best flight service to experience the true far north - maybe a mail bush plane?

5 Answers Jul 3, 2015 at 11:16 AM
    • Best place to stay without a car

Anchorage Jun 25, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Last day and night in Anchorage- We will be without a car for last day and want to stay in a hotel within walking distance of good shopping. What is the best area in Anchorage for this?

5 Answers Aug 26, 2015 at 8:29 AM
    • Planning a late October Trip

Alaska Jun 17, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Me and my girlfriend are planning a late October Trip, we'll be there for a week, our idea is to rent a vehicle at Anchorage's Airport and head to Denali National Park, North Pole, Fairbanks(Hoping to see the Northern Lights) and Chena Hot Springs. Are the roads ok at time of the year to make such a trip? Are there many options on vehicles rental? Tips / Recommendatios are highly appreciated, thanks

12 Answers Jun 20, 2015 at 3:55 PM
    • Store Luggage In Seward

Seward Jun 12, 2015 at 7:30 AM

In August we will get off our ship in the morning and have a couple of hours until our bus for Anchorage arrives. Where can we store our luggage for a couple of hours while we look around the city?

13 Answers Jun 26, 2015 at 9:09 AM
    • Transportation in Alaska

Alaska Jun 7, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Hey,
      I'm planning on going with a friend from late July- early August, til early September, and am wondering about transportation. We plan a relative low budget trip.
      We thought about buying a car (Not an RV) in Seattle, and then get to (and within) Alaska by car.
      Is it recommended? Are there any type of cars that are better than other for that (Special requirements)? Any tips on preparing your car/insurance/whatever?
      Is getting by in Alaska with a car cheaper or more expensive than with public transportation/taxis/ferries?
      Is it easier, or more complicated than relying on other means of transportation?

10 Answers Jun 8, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    • Ketchikan on a budget

Ketchikan Jun 6, 2015 at 6:43 PM

I am visiting Ketchikan for several days and don't have a large budget. Is there somewhere I can go fishing without it costing me $150+ to go? What else is there to do that doesn't cost a lot of money?

4 Answers Jun 8, 2015 at 6:41 AM
    • Ketchikan Rainforest Sanctuary with 13 month old

Ketchikan Jun 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM

We are interested in the Rainforest Sanctuary, but I have a 13 month old, can I or how easy is it to use a compact stroller in the Sanctuary? Thanks

3 Answers Jun 5, 2015 at 8:23 PM
    • nashrulhazran's Profile Photo

8 days in Anchorage

Alaska May 26, 2015 at 8:43 PM

Hi All,

i will be in Anchorage from July 14 until July 21 2015 for a vacation but until now i still cant decide what is the best i should do while im there. i really appreciate if anyone can suggest to me a tentative that i can do during my 8 days in there.

thanks.

8 Answers May 30, 2015 at 5:42 AM
    • Getting to the northern most point in Barrow.

Barrow May 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM

It looks like the northern most point on the road (a badly weathered sign frame sits at the end of the road) is about 10 miles away from the airport. If I go in July can I walk there? I heard taxis are sketchy at best. Rental cars are nearly impossible to get. I've already inquired into 2016 with few available. I guess my only concern besides weather would be wildlife? If anyone could shed any light on this is,it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ron

6 Answers May 22, 2015 at 8:13 AM
    • Booking ahead or not?

Alaska May 19, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Hey all,
      I will be traveling in Alaska in late July - early September, and plan on hiking and backpacking. No fancy hotels or luxurious cruises.
      I have traveled before, and prefer never to book hostels/parks ahead. I like to just get somewhere, and stay there as much as I want.
      But after reading a bit about Alaska, I wonder if it's better to stick to a strict plan and book everything ahead, or is it possible to just go with the flow and maybe even get some last minute deals?
      Thanks

13 Answers May 19, 2015 at 10:38 AM
    • Sampel of 10 days RV trip in interior area

Alaska May 15, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Hello...can anyone shares sample of 10 days trip with RV in interior area starting from Anchorage? Including stops and recommended RV park. We are family of 5 will traveling from 14 to 14 June 2015.

Thank you
      Paulina (Indonesia)

6 Answers May 16, 2015 at 5:13 AM
    • Restaurant

Barrow May 4, 2015 at 5:42 PM

What is the Mexican take-out restaurant called, next to the Top of the World Hotel?

10 Answers May 8, 2015 at 9:24 PM
    • Experience Kodiak Island on your own?

Kodiak Island Apr 24, 2015 at 3:07 PM

I'd like to do some bear viewing, hiking, fishing, and other fun stuff while on Kodiak Island. Most of those activities are quite costly with a guide. Is it possible to experience what Kodiak has to offer in term of wildlife viewing without a guide on my own? I appreciate any info. Thanks.

1 Answer Apr 24, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    • crowded decks

Alaska Apr 24, 2015 at 11:10 AM

planning may NCL cruise and worried about how crowded public deck areas are for viewing areas? thanks

4 Answers Apr 24, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    • Pete's Place

North Pole Apr 14, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Just wondering if old Pete's Place was still around at 24 Mile Old Richardson Highway?? Haven't been there or heard anything about it since '75 - '76. Loved that place.

1 Answer Apr 14, 2015 at 10:03 PM
    • Men's Cuff Bracelet Ketchikan

Ketchikan Apr 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM

One of the craft shops on a main street about a block from the pier had a great leather and copper men's cuff bracelet--Alaskan made. Been trying to find the shop and bracelet. Cheers.

1 Answer Apr 15, 2015 at 2:47 AM
    • Drag racing

Palmer Apr 9, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Has anyone attended the drag races in Palmer in June?

3 Answers Apr 10, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    • free or cheap camping

Denali National Park and Preserve Apr 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM

I will be working at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge this season and would like to show up a few days early. I am looking for free or cheap camping very near the park entrance as I will not be bringing a vehicle.

3 Answers Apr 15, 2015 at 3:12 AM
    • From North Carolina to Alaska

Alaska Mar 24, 2015 at 6:31 AM

My fiance', cat, dog, and myself are pulling my travel trailer through Canada to Alaska. I know gas prices are high up north but what would be the cheapest route through Canada to get to Alaska? Most scenic route? Also i have my carry permit in NC and it's reciprocal in AK but how do i get my pistol and rifle up there? Thanks! Any help and\or advice would be VERY helpful!

10 Answers Mar 30, 2015 at 9:41 PM
    • Train near town?

Talkeetna Mar 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM

We're trying to plan a short trip from Anchorage to either Talkeetna or Denali with our 6 year old granddaughter in July. If we take the train, are there taxis to get to town, lodging, restaurants, etc.? Any ideas on which place would be more interesting for a child? Also, is the higher priced Goldstar train car worth the extra cost? Not sure what the Adventure class is like. Would it be better to rent a car? We would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

12 Answers Mar 26, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    • Electronics

Soldotna Mar 23, 2015 at 7:05 AM

Is there any electronics stores close by?

3 Answers Mar 31, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    • scootmobile harbours alaska cruise

Seward Mar 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Dear people.

I want to make a cruise trip from Vancouver to Seward..

Our problem is , can we use scootmobile in the harbours and the towns  we passing.

Most of the times we are on board.

If possible a as most detailt answer please.

with kindly regards Theo Salden

2 Answers Mar 23, 2015 at 3:49 PM
    • Just a few questions

Alaska Mar 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM

I will be traveling to ALASKA by vehicle in May till August/September from the lower 48/49.

1. Is it worth the hassle getting gun permits to travel through Canada?

I have always had firearms and don't travel very much. I know the basics about bears and moose and have no intentions of a bad encounter and would never want to shoot one. I will be traveling with a camper and know the food rules, making noise while hiking, etc. I'm not really sold on bear spray or bear bangers though, do they really work? I plan on camping in remote spots, I know most of ALASKA is remote.

2. I will be traveling alone and feel much more secure carrying a firearm for personal protection in case I am in a bad situation, mainly with humans.

Am I being overly paranoid?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

18 Answers Mar 30, 2015 at 9:54 PM
    • Non touristy activities

Alaska Mar 10, 2015 at 9:11 PM

My husband and I, along with our 9 month old will be cruising to Alaska in May. My husband doesn't like to do touristy stuff so I am looking for some input on non touristy activities to do in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. The activity needs to be short enough to fit with the cruising schedule. Also any ideas for Seward or Talkeetna would be awesome too. Thanks

6 Answers Mar 31, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    • arctic Circle Alaska

Alaska Feb 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Spending 5 nights in Fairbanks This March with my husband. Chena Hot springs is booked. Where should we stay? We would like to do an Arctic circle tour. Is it worth the money to fly and overnight in coldfoot, possibly visit a village? Its very expensive. But i dont want money to be my whole concern...Is this really a trip of a lifetime?

3 Answers Feb 20, 2015 at 2:06 AM