Alaska Travel Answers

change location

Alaska summer 2012

by Lizbeth2015 Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I'm basically posting this so I can see what kinda reactions and feedback I get. Not really a question but I guess looking for travel advice since Ive never taken this kind of trip before!

I live in Alabama and my best friend and I are planning on flying to Anchorage in June since we have both always wanted to see Alaska. She lives in Ohio and we are gonna meet up and fly up together. My friend and I are going to meet up in Anchorage with some other friends of ours from California and then we are driving to Wasilla. By the way I just graduated high school and I'm a freshman at a community college in my town. I work minimum wage at McDonald's and I have a surplus of financial aid money that I'm planning on using for this little adventure. I have a budget laid out for paycheck to paycheck what I'm gonna put away for this trip. Basically I'm planning on trying to be VERY frugal from here until June. Going on this trip is a once in a lifetime experience to have and since the opportunity is here in front of me I should take it, even though I will be completely poor afterwards. :)

Plane tickets... When's the best time to buy? Last time I looked they were623 round trip from Nashville to Anchorage. I can buy them as early as mid January. When are they cheapest?

Also I have never been on a plane for longer than two hours, so this 12 hour venture is gonna be quite interesting. Two things you should know: I have high anxiety about planes and I'm afraid of heights so flying isn't the most enjoyable thing for me. Suggestions?

This is going to be the experience of a lifetime. Thanks for the advice y'all :)

Elizabeth

Quote & Answer
20 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Alaska summer 2012

by goodfish Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 2:46 PM

OK, so I have to ask: why are you using financial aid money for this trip? Isn't using those funds for this trip jeopardizing your tuition/student fees?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Alaska summer 2012

by Lizbeth2015 Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I'm going to school on scholarship so the money is just extra.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Alaskamark

• July2's Profile Photo

by July2 Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Men In Trees mark

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Bookmark:
    Plane tickets... When's the best time to buy? Last time I looked they were623 round trip from Nashville to Anchorage. I can buy them as early as mid January. When are they cheapest?

• semper.max's Profile Photo

by semper.max Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 10:38 PM

For plane tickets, the earlier you book, the better price you can get.

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 10:49 PM

And wich comapny do you think is cheaper? (or any)

by semper.max Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM

There are several airlines servicing the Nashville to Anchorage route (Alaska, Frontier, American, United etc.). If the dates are already definite, you can always use a flight consolidator to get the airline that offers the cheapest and then book directly from the airline's website if it is available. Which is the cheapest? It all depends on the date of the trip and the date you are booking the flight. Any one of them can be the cheapest at that particular time. In general though, the earlier you book, the cheaper your plane tickets will be.

• Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now Nov 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Thanks, I'm considering from Chicago and in Summer (yes, high season.)

by semper.max Online Now Nov 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM

From Chicago to Anchorage, you'll have Alaska Airlines ,US Airways, American Airlines as possible airlines. Sometimes it comes out cheaper also if you mix airlines (different airline coming in and getting out). I would also consider the baggage allowances especially if I won't be travelling light as some airlines give free baggage allowances where others require you to pay even on the first baggage. Hence, even if Delta for example is offering the higher fare, it might come out cheaper since they do allow me to travel with my original international free 2x50 lbs allowance as long as they are on the same Delta ticket, no matter how many domestic trips I make in the US.

• karen_mo's Profile Photo

by karen_mo Online Now Nov 11, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Hi Elizabeth, If you've managed to get on a plane for 2 hours, hopefully you'll be okay for 12, it just gets a bit boring. Remember to walk around a bit and drink plenty of water. I flew from Detroit to Anchorage a few years ago - think it was through NWA but an Alaska Airlines plane and there was zero entertainment on the 7 hours or so - not even music - so you might want to check that out and take a good book! I was so pooped from flying from London I fell asleep the whole way so it was okay!

Alaska is stunning, but not cheap. We hired a car and camped in a little tent which helped a lot but still it was an expensive trip for us - but yep, a once in a lifetime place! Have a great time!

by semper.max Online Now Nov 11, 2011 at 12:41 AM

My longest one is 16 hours (SFO to MNL). Luckily, I almost always spend most of my time sleeping on my plane trips. Window seat please... :)

• July2's Profile Photo

by July2 Online Now Nov 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM

The flight is 6-7 hours. Not a particularly long one.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Nov 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I'd recommend checking expedia.com once a week for a while. Alaskans tend to fly Alaska Air more out of loyalty than economics. Sometimes if you break the trip up by legs and try different hubs, you find some surprisingly lower fares.

• TLippard's Profile Photo

by TLippard Online Now Nov 16, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Do you really have an idea of what you want to do or see when you get there? In some ways it will be different, in other ways, it will be just like any other place in the US. Anchorage is populated, industrialized, historic, etc. Sure, you'll have a higher likelihood of seeing a moose cross the road, but you'll see a lot that is familiar too.

You are driving to Wasilla. Gas is grossly expensive up there. Hotel accomodations aren't cheap either. Have you checked to make sure car rental companies will rent to your age group? Unless one of your party is 25, it might be an issue with come car rental companies. Make sure you budget enough to cover those expenses.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but it sounds like this is the first major trip you've taken. You could have a great trip, but it sounds like you need to really plan it out and know what you expect to see. It's expensive and I'd hate to see you be disappointed. Rather I'm just trying to help point out some things you might not have considered so you can be ready for them.

Good luck!

• Re: Alaska summer 2012

by alaskaglenn12 Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Elizabeth, I have been traveling to Alaska for 25 years and now spend my summers there. Its worth the trip. Check out Alaska Hooksetters Lodge www.alaskahooksetters.com for a place to stay on the Kenai You can just relax and sightsee and it wont cost you an arm and a leg

by Donna_in_India Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 6:18 AM

Elizabeth hasn't been back since the day she posted her original question.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I just feel so used!
    :)

by Donna_in_India Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM

As it happens sometimes, Rick! Hope all is well in your glorious corner of the world.

by semper.max Online Now Dec 6, 2011 at 6:48 PM

She can view the travel forum even if she's not logged in though. Hopefully, she got all the answers she needed. :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines