Alaska Travel Answers

change location

Recommendations for mildly disabled Senior?

by Maroa Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM

My mother has always wanted to see Alaska, and I'm researching what our cruise options may be. She has Multiple Sclerosis and walks with a cane, however this mainly affects her speed and not endurance. Weather is not an issue (we both prefer winter to summer temps), but I'm looking for feedback from; (A) Seasoned travelers: which route/ship provided the best views/scenery/glacierscapes from on board, and (B) Similarly compromised travelers, what were your experiences cruising? What worked, what would you have changed? A lot of advice boards recommend small ships for economy of price, but I worry about making her seasick.
Thank you for any and all advice, I truly appreciate it. :)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

Re: Recommendations for mildly disabled Senior?

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM

If you are worried about seasickness then leave out of Vancouver BC so there is less time on the open seas. Most of Alaska cruise is the inland passage and glacier bay with is usually calm as ice (no pun). Vancouver might be easier for boarding also as you could stay at one of the hotels connected directly to the cruise port. We have stayed at both the Pan Pacific and Fairmont. The Pan Pacific would be the best as it sits right atop the cruise terminal so it's just an elevator ride down to board. All the stops we did (Skagway, Kitchkan, Sitka, and Juneau) were easy to walk right off and see stuff. A must do is take the helicopter to the top of the glaicer.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines