Alaska Travel Answers

change location

Trying to decide

by nech56 Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Starting from Anchorage with a car, 1 week Monday to Friday noon.to Anchorage
The other Sun. to Wed. around 5 from Anchorage to Anchorage.
3 seniors..not hikers or fishers, or white water rapids people.
Still can't figure it out...in which direction do we need more time north or south.
Hope to do some cruises, dog sledding tour, tour at Denali, museums and easy float trip plus museums
and nature centers...short easy hikes.
We'll be there mid-end July.
Please help..also places with separate rooms for a couple and a single..nicprefer with fri and microwave, not expensive.
Thanks a lot. This has been very confusing as to how to arrange this.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Trying to decide

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I'm not sure how much of that you can do in a week, nor if you can dogsled in July, but as a planning help, you might check the web site of "The Milepost" magazine. We drove the entire Alaska Highway using it and it was a huge help. We camped in our little tent so I can't help you with lodging except to say you can drive a very long time and not see a place to stay so plan ahead. Here's the web site. milepost.com/features/drivin...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I have been to Alaska three times in the last seven years by plane and rented a car each time.

Here is what I would suggest, rent a car in Anchorage and spend a day touring Anchorage. Rates for Alaska car rentals tend to be quite high. Be sure that your rental cover windshield breakage since many of the roads are gravel in Alaska and a windshield break is not uncommon for a week. Also distances between attractions in Alaska are very so allow a lot of time for driving.

Starting from Anchorage I would go south to Seward and spend one to two nights there. This is a beautiful drive and there are many stops along the way. You could stop at the little marsh on the left side of the road outside of Anchorage for a nice nature walk, stop at Windy Point to see Dall Sheep, Portage Glacier has a great visitor center and you might see some small glaciers floating in the bay, and at Gridwood there is a nice tram that takes you up a mountain with some great views of the surrounding area. In addition, there is the Alaskan Wildlife and Conservation Center that a lot of animals that are sometimes hard to see from the road or hiking. The cost of admission when I was last there was next to nothgin.

In Seward I would definitely go to the harbor and take a cruise to Kenai Fjords National Park and Resurrection Bay. You will likely see two types of whales, puffins and bald eagles and the boats can maneuver into places the cruise ships can't come close to. You can choose from 4 to 8 hour cruises. TIP: If it is windy take some dramamine with you.

Since you indicated an interest in dog sledding unfortunately there will be no snow sledding during the year. There are however several dog sledding camps in the Seward area that have tours of their facilities and offer summer dog sled rides. Here is a link to one that I am familiar with that you might enjoy;

http://www.ididaride.com/

I would then drive back to Anchorage and head north. Stop in the cute town of Talkeekna which looks like it is something right out of the set of Northern Exposure. Definitely spend at least two nights just outside of Denali National Park and take a full day tour of the park. You will see lots of wildlife. The new National Park Visitor Center has lots to see.

Since you only have a week pushing north to Fairbanks and driving back via the Richardson Highway as opposed to the Parks Highway (which you will be on might be too much). If you are interested in going up to Fairbanks let me know and I will give you my ideas.

Have a great trip!

2 members found this helpful

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Great answer TooTall. The only change they might want to consider is heading straight to Denali if they have a really clear day. Sometimes the top of Denali is lost in clouds for days. Be a shame to miss seeing it.

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Thanks Sally and yes I agree. Clear days at DeNali are hard to come by.

• Re: Trying to decide

by nech56 Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Thanks....to all especially Tootall. I like your ideas...
    Norma

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Nice answer Too Tall!
    Next time you come up , come over to Kodiak.

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Thanks Rick! I will and hopefully not be food for all those bears you have in Kodiak,

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 6:55 PM

A last city you might want to check out if you go south to Seward is Palmer. The only access is through a long one way tunnel that leads to an interesting little town that for years the only access was by boat. The Palmer Tunnel is definitely something to experience.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Not Palmer, but Whittier. Palmer is the farming community north of Anchorage.

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Thanks Rick! I always get those two cities mixed up and I have been to both. The Whittier tunnel is very cool.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Alaska Travel Answer Locations