Akureyri Travel Answers

change location

help in akureyi (and iceland)

by pammywb Online Now Jul 1, 2009 at 11:56 AM

hi--visiting akureyi on cruise ship--there 7am to 4pm--how can we see myvatn and godafoss on our own--ship trips so expensive--we also visit grundarfjordur, isafjordur, seydisfjordur and reykjavik , so i'd welcome anny don't miss suggestions, since we'll have 7 or so hours in each port--thanks--pammywb

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: help in akureyi (and iceland)

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jul 1, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Simple answer - rent a car and set out on your own. Do a web search on Iceland car rentals. Certainly doable out of "larger" centres like Akureyi and Reykjavik - don't know about some other places. You would have to be pretty organized in order not to waste a lot of time getting the car and dropping it off though. Probably only makes sense if there are three or four of you though.

A word of warning - Iceland is very expensive, which is why the tours are expensive. Rentals are likely to start at around 20 000 Kroner / day for a small standard transmission car. I'm renting a smallish 4x4 next week and our daily rate works out darn close to what I would pay for the same vehicle at home for a week. Also - if you do this, most Icelandic gas stations are self-serve - no attendants - no credit card with chip = no way to fill up in many places.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jul 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Sorry - forgot to include the "don't miss" agenda. I've only done the south coast so far, so from Reykjavik I would recommend either doing the Golden Circle (need a car or tour for sure). Plan "A" the raw nature tour - half day or so would be enough to see the main sites - Þingvellir National Park, Geysir Geothermal area and Gullfoss. Plan "B" - the super relaxing tour- (taking a tour might be the least expensive way to go) would be to head off to the Blue Lagoon and spend a few hours soaking away. You won't have enough time to do both.

Check my home page - I've got some videos of the geothermal area and Gullfoss (South Iceland Waterfalls clip) that I took a couple of years ago.

Will get to some of the other places next week, so too early for me to make any suggestions.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

by jumpingnorman Online Now Jul 1, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Yes, renting cars in Iceland from seven to four PM may be somewhat more expensive than just taking one of many bus tours available for Godafoss and Myvatn. I was just in Akureyri two weeks ago and on flying in, I was ocled up from airport and brought to a nearby bus tour building to which I reserved my tour of Myvatn and Godafoss...I reserved online through Nordic Visitor and I had no problems. I am sure they also probably pick up people from the cruises - give them a call, they are very flexible and they have many combinations of tours available and I would trust them to bring u back to your cruise ship on time...or as suggested just drive a car but this depends on how weather conditions are when you arrive...not sure where car rental is in relation to your cruise ship arrival...if price too restrictive, then you might just explore Akureyri by foot. It has several interesting houses, museums but I know you will rather enjoy seeing the Godafoss waterfalls though - this is the waterfalls where they threw statues of pagan gods when the people were asked to covert to Christianity...Have fun! Norman :)

• dassi's Profile Photo

by dassi Online Now Jul 6, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I would say rent a car since the main thing to see is Lake Myvatn and to go to the blue lagoon there http://www.jardbodin.is/english/ it is only 99 km or so away from Akureyri and on the way you see the Godafoss http://www.nett.is/fossholl/ens/ and it is asfalt all the way. You can also go on the tours that I am pretty sure they will offer or even rent a taxi for the tour but that costs you a lot.You could even drive to Husavik http://husavik.is/?sport=english
    So there you go with some options.
    Have a good one
    Bragi

• dassi's Profile Photo

by dassi Online Now Jul 6, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Here you even have some car rentals in Akureyri.

• dassi's Profile Photo

Here you even have some car rentals in Akureyri. travelnet.is/Icelandic/Ferda...

• dassi's Profile Photo

Here you even have some car rentals in Akureyri. travelnet.is/Icelandic/Ferda...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Akureyri Travel Answer Locations