Akumal Travel Answers

change location
kelypierce's Profile Photo

Akumal Beach Resort

by kelypierce Online Now Jan 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Six adults (my siblings and our husbands/wives) are considering staying at the Akumal Beach Resort in April. We are in our mid 50's to mid 60's and have varying interests. My husband and I are scuba divers. My sister and her husband are snorkelers and my brother and his wife are "sit on the beach with a cocktail and read" types. None of us go for nightlife, but we like good food and friendly service.
Does anyone have an opinion of the ABR? Is it falling into disrepair, as some people seem to think? Would it be a good fit for our group?
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Kelypierce

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Akumal Beach Resort

by kevack Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

We were there about 5 years ago and will be headed back there really soon. It was a great area. The hotel was great. It is not ritzy. Food was good. Staff fantastic. They had a great young activity crew. Pools were wonderful. You can walk up the beach to akumel to rent a car or bike. We rented a bike and ride up to the lagoon which was really neat. It is a nice laid back area. We rented a car and drove down to tulum. Don't bother trying to go to a bank to exchange currency. It was a big waste of time. First thing they asked was can I see your passport which was of course back at the hotel. As I recall the hotel was like a motel 6 but you won't be sending much time in the bedroom. We expect to have the same nice experience we had last time. Can't wait to leave the snow behind.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines