Akumal Travel Answers

change location

Malaria Shots

by MRKAT Online Now Feb 17, 2007 at 1:32 PM

I just read that a malaria shot is recommended when traveling to the Akumal, Quintana Roo area. Anyone heard of this. Is it really necessary. Also, Would it be recommended for a child 10 years old?

thanks for your helpf

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • unaS's Profile Photo

RE: Malaria Shots

by unaS Online Now Feb 17, 2007 at 1:38 PM

For malaria prevention you take pills, not shots.
    See the CDC site for full details of the area cdc.gov/search.do?action=sea...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Malaria Shots

by MRKAT Online Now Feb 17, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for your response. I will check out the site you sent. I am just wondering if it is necessary to take the pills, as I have not had anyone who travels to this area tell me that this is what they have done.

Thanks again.
    MRKAT

• unaS's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Malaria Shots

by unaS Online Now Feb 18, 2007 at 4:28 AM

The CDC site has maps and detailed info on where the anopheloes [sp?] mosquito is found and where it is prudent to take preventive measures.

Some places it may be only at certain times of the year. Some places a good repellent (30-40% DEET) is required at all times. Some places only in the evenings. You really do have to check out the local conditions - that is all on the CDC.

As for a child I believe that it may well be worth your while to check with a travel clinic in your own area before your trip, or doctor that specializes in tropic diseases.

Remeber that Kinga died of Malaria!!!

• RE: Malaria Shots

by pedrocarlos Online Now Feb 18, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Is not neccesary,you dont need it.Akumal is not Africa...

• Jefie's Profile Photo

by Jefie Online Now Feb 19, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I don't think it's necessary - nurses working at the travel clinic will recommend it because they have to, but most doctors will tell you it's not necessary.

• RE: RE: RE: Malaria Shots

by MRKAT Online Now Feb 20, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Thanks. Your response made me smile. I KNOW Akumal is not Africa. I see you are from the area, and must have thought I was quite silly. When traveling with a ten year old, though, it pays to check out everything. Many have responded that my concerns are unwarranted and that puts my mind at ease. My godson is very excited about this trip. Any suggestions about things for 10 year old to do, in addition to snorkling, are also appreciated.

Thanks again!
    MRKat

• Jefie's Profile Photo

by Jefie Online Now Feb 20, 2007 at 12:50 PM

I'd say a 10-year-old would probably enjoy going to Xcaret - it's pretty expensive, but there are lots of things to see and do: animal habitats, aquarium, underground rivers, the night show... check out the Web site for more info: http://www.xcaret.com/

Have a great trip!

• cheeconi's Profile Photo

Re: Malaria Shots

by cheeconi Online Now Feb 23, 2009 at 9:27 PM

It's not really needed. Most of the jungle area has been developed and I hardly ever get bitten by a mosquito...years ago I got bitten alot. Take some good mosquito repellent and you should be fine. A few of the locals I know have gotten Dengue from bites...but then, they live there year round and more likely to get bitten.

You will love Akumal..be sure to go snorkeling in Yal-ku lagoon and my favorite is Akumal Bay right in front of the Lo-Hah restuarant.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines