Akumal Travel Answers

change location
jenduran79's Profile Photo

General Questions

by jenduran79 Online Now May 4, 2005 at 2:03 PM

Does anyone know if there are any cheap hotels in Akumal? The cheapest I found was65/day. I'm looking more into the20-$30 range. Also, I plan on taking an open water diving certification course in Akumal? Has anyone done this? What were ur experiences? any tips?
Oh, one more thing..I plan on being there for about a week and I prob won't rent a car. Is that ok? Is everything easily accessible? Thanks all!
Jen

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • RE: General Questions

by pedrocarlos Online Now May 4, 2005 at 3:01 PM

Open Water Certification???Check my page!!!
    =))

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Chenbaaxal's Profile Photo

RE: General Questions

by Chenbaaxal Online Now May 4, 2005 at 5:44 PM

In Akumal, you are paying for all the little brown people to manicure the lawns and smile at you like you mattered. If you can afford it, go for it, but obviously you are like me and will not be that way. Try Tulum or Isla Mujeres, where there is a range of accommodations and you won't see the subservient class so clearly.

• MonoBichi's Profile Photo

RE: RE: General Questions

by MonoBichi Online Now May 11, 2005 at 1:01 AM

More to the point, there are no cheap places in Akumal. Plenty in that range in the places mentioned.
    I beleive you can certify in Isla Mujeres. Ask on this forum
    http://www.myislamujeres.com/home.asp

You shouldn't need a car. Taxis are really cheap and buses are frequent and direct between towns.

• whitneyone's Profile Photo

by whitneyone Online Now Sep 18, 2005 at 12:19 PM

Ohhhh Chenbaa.....wow. Subserviant little brown people? That just sounds wrong Amigo! I've seen about 3 lawns in Akumal. What am I missing? In any tourist area (or non tourist area) the locals work there. The people in Akumal are Mexican or Maya and they are working. I really don't understand the problem. Seriously, what am I missing?
    Your advice to Jen was right about transportation, though, and there is nothing cheap on the beach in Akumal. Unless you compare it to Maui, where you can easily spend over 400 on a standard hotel room on the beach, (where by the way, the local also work)

• MonoBichi's Profile Photo

by MonoBichi Online Now Sep 19, 2005 at 9:27 AM

Yeah, it's pretty arrogant to call somebody "subservient class" because they have a job.
    Travelers need to keep a perspective. (Or there's no point in traveling.)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines