Ajijic Travel Answers

change location

Driving From Nogales AZ to Ajijic

by t7274 Online Now Dec 12, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Could sure use some help on where to spend the nights on the drive to Ajijic. If you have driven from Nogales to Ajijic, please contact me at t72744@peoplepc.com.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: Driving From Nogales AZ to Ajijic

by bocmaxima Online Now Dec 12, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Quite a long-shot on that, unfortunately.
    I can tell you that Hermosillo is a decent place to stay.
    But, wow, that's a DRIVE! 5 days? A week?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Dec 12, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Quite a long-shot on that, unfortunately.
    I can tell you that Hermosillo is a decent place to stay.
    But, wow, that's a DRIVE! 5 days? A week?

• Gatopardo's Profile Photo

by Gatopardo Online Now Dec 13, 2007 at 5:06 AM

Are you taking Nogales - Hermosillo - Mazatlan - Tepic - Guadalajara - Lago de Chapala - Ajijic?

Let me find out the name of the hotel in Tepic...they have a few that are okay, small city.

Mazatlan has a better offer of hotels, since it's a port.

I have a few choices for GUadalajara, but you wont probably need it, I have Posada GUadalajara, Las Pergolas o a Holiday Inn in downtown, however, you will be at a frog jump from Chapala, max 30 mins.. then Ajijic..

• verderymex's Profile Photo

by verderymex Online Now Feb 21, 2008 at 6:56 PM

I've driven Nogales-Ajijic (I live in Ajijic) both ways probably seven or eight times. Granted, I don't pick any daisies or take any pictures......BUT.....I make it in two days.

Leave Nogales at dawn. If you're smart, you'll get your visas and the "importacion temporal" sticker at a Mexican consulate in the U.S. before you cross into Mexico -- otherwise, plan on spending 30-45 minutes at the Customs/Immigration plaza about 20km south of Nogales.

If you drive like a bat out of hell (and the toll roads DO support that), you should pull into CULIACAN around dark. DO NOT DRIVE IN THE DARK!!!! There's a great little motel on the southern edge of the city, on the right as you head south. And the food in the restaurant is OK and cheap.

Leave Culiacan early. They've got the new toll road between Mazatlan and Tepic open most of the way -- maybe ALL the way since my last trip in July.

Skip Guadalajara (although you can fight the horrible traffic on the periferico if you choose). Instead, turn off the autopista just past the LAST toll booth before Guadalajara and follow the signs to Tala-Ameca. Turn left at Tala, go through town, continue (about 30 km) to San Jose de Las Flores, then turn right onto the autopista toward Colima. Where the autopista splits, take the right fork toward Jocotepec. At Jocotepec, turn left and follow your nose about 25km to Ajijic.

verderymex

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines