Airlie Beach Travel Answers

change location

Want to see more of Outer Reef - best bet???

by virginia29 Online Now Jun 15, 2010 at 8:32 AM

I've already booked a 3-day Pacific Sunrise cruise through the Whitsunday Islands for my family of 5. This cruise should be amazing, and will offer us a chance for us to snorkel, cruise, etc to various Whitsunday islands. But I am thinking that to supplement and experience as much of the Great Barrier Reef as possible, I should find a seaplane tour that covers more of the Outer Reef. I see some Air Whitsunday tours (some that are "just" an hour flight, some that include a flight out to Whitehaven beach and private pontoon station in reef, etc). I've also seen helicopter flights over the reef offered. Please offer me some advice if you know if this makes sense. Is snorkeling during the PC cruise sufficient (given a budget that DOES eventually have a limit), or would I regret not doing more on one of the tour provider's pontoons, say. I am assuming this latter arrangement puts you out further in the reef than the Whitsundays.... I am definitely interested in doing the seaplane flight, at a minimum. Is anyone familiar with the Air Whitsunday tours??

THANKS!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • aussirose's Profile Photo

Re: Want to see more of Outer Reef - best bet???

by aussirose Online Now Jun 17, 2010 at 5:32 AM

Hi Virginia. Sounds like a wonderful holiday you have planned there! :o) Well we visited the Whitsundays last year as part of the big vt downunder meet and did a sea flight from Hamilton Island to the outter reef and the famous Whitehaven beach. We had a fantastic time! ...and I totally recommend it! ... Here is my travelogue of the journey - "Sea Plane trip to Whitehaven Beach" - Hamilton Island Travelogue by aussirose

Whatever you do...a trip to Whithaven beach is not to be missed! I have the low down of a couple of day trips that we did on my Airlie Beach pages if you are interested.

Have a great holiday!!!

Cheers, Ann :o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines