Airlie Beach Travel Answers

change location

sailing whitsundays and traveling to townsville where to stay and how to travel ?

by steve2catz Online Now Jun 8, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Hi my wife and me are coming to oz for 6 weeks over xmas and plan on flying into cairns then down to the whitsundays for a few days and would like to visit whitehaven beach ! do we stay in airlie beach and go from there ? after that we want to spend xmas in townsville then travel to brisbane for NYE any ideas what the best way is to go about all this CHEAPLY ?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: sailing whitsundays and traveling to townsville where to stay and how to travel ?

by wise23girl Online Now Jun 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Yes you can go from Airlie Beach or Shute Harbour. We were in Airlie last year and sailed to Whitehaven on the beautiful purple "Camira" (with a group of VT friends)
    We stayed close to the centre of town and our resort provided transport to the wharf from where the boats leave.(not far)

A different company do the trip from Shute Harbour.

You will need to watch the sun on the beach...a very hot time of year ...usually.

Are you driving and are you used to our side of the road?

Your question re doing it 'cheaply'...is that the trip to Brisbane?....there are road, rail and air options. Or do you mean Whitehaven?

If you put Airlie Beach in the search option on top right of page you will get more information.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: sailing whitsundays and traveling to townsville where to stay and how to travel ?

by steve2catz Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 10:14 AM

cool so plenty of sunny cream required then ! i tought you drove on the same side as us in pome land ? where i mentioned trip to brizzy (cheapest) should we hire a car or get a bus or fly ? I know hitching a lift is the cheapest way but im thinking we will be pushed for time as we want to spend xmas in townsville and NYE in brizzy

Re: sailing whitsundays and traveling to townsville where to stay and how to travel ?

by wise23girl Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Yes we do drive on the same side of the road as England/UK but you did not say where you are from and I do like to warn people especially if they have not been to Australia...

Then the sun...my cousin burnt the top of his feet visiting the islands and could not wear shoes for days.

A car is handy if you want to double back to Townsville and look about a bit but from Cairns to Brisbane is a good 2 or 3 days drive without much sightseeing. And there are long stretches of nothing.

I certainly would not advise hitchhiking...maybe once upon a time.

Sometimes you can get flights on special...probably train or bus best....You can probably buy a tourist pass...I do not know...Wait a bit and some others may have good ideas for you.

by wise23girl Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Yes we do drive on the same side of the road as England/UK but you did not say where you are from and I do like to warn people especially if they have not been to Australia...

Then the sun...my cousin burnt the top of his feet visiting the islands and could not wear shoes for days.

A car is handy if you want to double back to Townsville and look about a bit but from Cairns to Brisbane is a good 2 or 3 days drive without much sightseeing. And there are long stretches of nothing.

I certainly would not advise hitchhiking...maybe once upon a time.

Sometimes you can get flights on special...probably train or bus best....You can probably buy a tourist pass...I do not know...Wait a bit and some others may have good ideas for you.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Jun 17, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Heya Steve. Well as Margy said....we had the best time at the Whitsundays last year! :o) Whitehaven Beach is definatly not to be missed!

Well seems you are backtrackin' a bit...going from Airlie back to Townsville and then down the coast. Mmmmm, and it is high season so you probably won't get too many specials. And I would book now! ...even now, might be a bit late for that time of year.

Anyway, have a look at flightcentre.com to compare the air flights. You can travel from Proserpine cheap via Virgin Blue. From Hamilton Island, Jetstar is the way to go. Or from Mackay you might get a special via Tiger Airways.

Failing that....I would have a look at the Greyhound Buses.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers, Ann :o)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines