Airlie Beach Travel Answers

change location

accomodation/ tours

by nikkihogarth Online Now Jun 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I have 4 nights to spend on Airlie beach/ whitsundays and would like some advice on what to do about accomodation. Would it be better for me to book 4 nights accom in Airlie and do day tours out to the islands or are there good places to stay on the islands themselves? Also can anyone recommended any good tours of the islands? Thanks!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Re: accomodation/ tours

by lynnehamman Online Now Jun 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM

there is plenty of accommodation available on the islands- but its also feasable to stay at Airlie. Airlie is very popular with young back-packers, and gets quite 'festive'. If you want a quieter, more laid back vacation- stay on one of the islands.
    Here is a website that may help you:

http://www.whitsundaytourism.com.au/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • AllOverRover's Profile Photo

by AllOverRover Online Now Jun 17, 2009 at 11:50 PM

When we went to the Whitsundays, we stayed at both Airlie Beach and Hamilton Island. Value for money-wise, you get a lot more for your dollar on the mainland. Whilst we enjoyed our time on Hamilton Island, we actually enjoyed Airlie Beach even more I think. It depends a little on what you're into.... if you really want a resort experience, perhaps have a couple of nights on an island? Perhaps you could split it up like we did?

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Jun 18, 2009 at 5:58 AM

Cruise Whitsundays is very good Frankie...great suggestion! We are planning a big downunder vt meet in the Whitsundays in September and we are taking 2 cruises with them. Also the Raggamufin yaucht day trip is fantastic...and the Yellow Sub trip from Hamilton Island is a good one. We did the 3 island trip too from Hamilton....and hubby & my daughter did their first scuba diving lesson which they enjoyed. Also as Allover said, I have stayed in both places...Hamilton Island and Airlie. Airlie is cheaper of course. If you are planning to fly then there are 2 options - Proserpine on the mainland and Hamilton Island so incorporating a couple of nights on each destination, Airlie & Hamilton would be a great idea.....perhaps flying into Proserpine and out via Hamilton. Of course if you plan to be in the Whitsundays on the September 11-13 weekend, then of course you are most welcome to join us :o)
    Cheers, Ann :o)

• Re: accomodation/ tours

by daena Online Now Jul 3, 2009 at 5:24 AM

I would recommend going to an island -you can get good cheap accommodation on Long Island - a ferry trip from Airlie- ask for last minute stays at Long Island at the tourist office in Airlie Beach s there are good discounts . A barrier reef day trip is worth the cost and they pick you up from airlie or the islands

• Re: accomodation/ tours

by muzeve Online Now Jul 14, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Depends on what type of holiday you are wanting. The islands are great if you want to relax, airlie is great if you want to party. Heaps of good trips from airlie for one day or more, staying on islands or boats. Airlie is also a lot cheaper than the islands. I have done sailing trips to whitehaven beach, and day trips to 3 island-whitehaven beach, daydream island and snorkelling/ fish feeding at cook island, which is of course just a sample of everything, but still great value for about A$120 including great lunch and nibblies. Day trips to reef also good, as well as crocodile tours up the rivers. All very easy to book the day before, and some great prices. So as you can tell, I am saying stay in airlie, but if its the resort island style holiday you are after, go for it. You can do a lot of day trips from the islands as well.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines