Airlie Beach Travel Answers

change location

gladstone to airlie

by mounty_1 Online Now Oct 20, 2008 at 7:57 PM

hi. im currently working in gladstone and i am planning a 3 week road trip back to melbourne in late december

i am considering driving up to airlie but i am wondering if this is worth it? as its a good 5-6 hours out of my way!

is late december a good time of year to go? a little worried about the wet season, stingers etc. i would mainly be going to explore the whitsundays

thanks for your help!

steve

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • lou31's Profile Photo

Re: gladstone to airlie

by lou31 Online Now Oct 21, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Well I would say that December is not the best time...extremely hot and humid though plenty of people still go there at that time.

Also watching Sunrise this morning they had a segment on about how we can expext a very active cyclone season. They say we will have one before the end of the year...cyclone that is.

Have a great holiday whatever you choose to do :]

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Oct 21, 2008 at 7:18 AM

Go to Airlie and then buy the 3 island day Ferry trip. We had 5 days on Hamilton Island a couple of years ago and purchased the ferry trip from Hamilton Island, first stop was Airlie Beach, a great place, then onto Long Island for an hour, then to Daydream Island for a few hours and back to Hamilton Island.

Recommend you stay on Hamilton Island for a few nights, it is one of the biggest islands and has all types of accommodation. Hamilton Island is approx 40 minutes by fast ferry from Airlie.

Check out my pages on all these locations and it may help your decision making.

Good luck,
    Mike

• earthflyer's Profile Photo

by earthflyer Online Now Oct 21, 2008 at 10:44 AM

The Whitsunday islands is worth the extra hours on the road but make sure you have good weather.

I went out on the Derwent Hunter in 1999 a tall ship, Don't know if she is still sailing these days.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines