change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• stamporama's Profile Photo

Questions, questions....

Cusco Mar 28, 2014 at 2:40 AM

1) Which gives a better exchange rate in Cusco, banks or money changers?
      2) What are the areas is Cusco that tourists should stay clear of?
      3) If we need to catch the 11 am train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, what time should we leave Cusco if we take a cab? How much is the current taxi fare between Cusco and Ollantaytambo, one-way? Or is there an alternative to a taxi, like maybe an express bus (same route)?
      4) I understand that food cannot be brought inside Machu Picchu but what about water? Could someone verify that it is allowed provided that it's in refillable containers but not in plastic disposable bottles?
      5) Finally, is it possible for Machu Picchu visitors to enter the Inca Trail in the reverse direction in order to view Winay Wayna? If yes, how much is the cost if any and is a guide still required for this?

Thanks for any responses!

more
    • fast early morning/midday/evening buses Cusco/puno

Cusco Mar 23, 2014 at 6:50 PM

We have found some buses that do Cusco to Puno arriving at 2 pm earliest. Are there any that arrive earlier in the day? We don't really care what sort of bus so long as its cheap and fast. (Local bus...?)

And wed also like to find a bus from Puno to Cusco that leaves in the afternoon, so arriving around 9 or 10. Just as long as this one doesnt leave in the morning and doesn't drive during the sleepiest hours, we want it.

Why do the bus companies only have early morning or overnight service?

more
    • JosephW10's Profile Photo

Travelling to Machu Picchu from 2th May to 6th May (4 nights)

Cusco Mar 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I will be staying in Cusco for 4 nights and will hope to visit Machu Picchu but i can only book my tickets 2 weeks before i travel so i am wondering is there sufficient time for me to book the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu ?

Joseph Ng

more
    • arriving in cusco

Cusco Mar 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I am heading to Cusco this April 11-28th. I was told to head straight to Sacred Valley after arriving into Cusco to help avoid altitude sickness I arrive at approx. 10:30am on Saturday and need to return to Cusco sometime Sunday afternoon. Is it worth spending the travel time? I will be doing volunteer work during the work, but have weekends off. Must go to Machu Picchu, do I need to purchase entrance/ train tickets this far in advance. I'll have a couple of weekends free which is when I plan to go to Machu Picchu and probably the Sacred Valley. Do you think I need to book entrance and train tickets in advance or can I organize it when I get to Cusco? Ideally would prefer to wait till I get there in case I want to change things around. Thanks!

more
    • photographic gear

Machu Picchu Mar 27, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I am wondering if a tripod is permitted inside the ruins and if it is necessary. We intend going first thing in the morning. Thank you in anticipation.

more
    • Shazzo's Profile Photo

Lima how many nights do you recommend

by Shazzo Online Now Feb 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Hi all looking for a little info please , booking trip is so hard unsure if time line we are looking at works hate to leave one place early if there is more to see or being stuck in a town with nothing to see , Trip so far we fly from LA to Lima on the 6th March arriving 7th March early morning ( 3am) Friday -Sunday leave Lima fly to Puno - Wednesday leave take train to Cusco from here we would like to do Muchupicchu , Sacred Valley, lake Titicaca . Can you help with how long you recommend to spend at each place we would like to spend the whole day at Muchupicchu but my husband is looking at 3 nights at the Lake Titicaca thinking this is to long !!!! Then we r looking at flying back to Lima and flying down to Buenos Aires . We have 5 weeks in South America places we are looking at are Galapagos Island , Amazon , Argentina , Rio , Iguassu Falls , looking forward to feed back if you think of must see places and for how long we need to stay there and best transport advise!! Confused this is my 50th Birthday trip want to make the best of it . Shaz

5 Answers Feb 25, 2014 at 4:01 AM
    • Tickled_Pink's Profile Photo

Machu Pichu in March

by Tickled_Pink Online Now Dec 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM

we are planning to visit peru in March and were wondering if machu pichu is closed during this rainy season. If it is, where do you suggest we visit instead?

2 Answers Dec 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    • Worth staying over night in Aguas Calientes near Machu Picchu?

by pzhu Online Now Jan 29, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I have signed up for the Inca Trail (4 day), which will let me arrive at Machu Picchu early in the morning before the crowds. I am wondering if it is wtill worthwhile to stay over night in Aguas Calientes for some other good reasons.

My travel agent would get my train ticket back to Cusco the next day, but only to Ollantaytambo train station and I will have to find and pay for the bus to get back to Cusco.

Thanks.

pzhu

10 Answers Feb 17, 2010 at 1:17 AM
    • rickrenaud's Profile Photo

Decent hotel in Aguas Calientes?

by rickrenaud Online Now Apr 21, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Spending two nights in AC this July (woohoo!) and wondering if anyone can recommend a decent hotel that's not too pricey. I'd like to make my reservations in advance.

Thanks!

4 Answers Jan 29, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    • rickrenaud's Profile Photo

Can you buy bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu in advance?

by rickrenaud Online Now Apr 21, 2009 at 9:25 AM

I'm visiting MP in July and really want to get the fist bus up from AC to MP (we will be staying overnight in AC on either end of our day at MP).

So my question is: is it first come, first served to get onto the first bus up to MP or can you buy tickets in advance. And if you can buy them in advance how do I do that?

Thank you!

2 Answers Apr 21, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    • How to book Hotel Presidente

by pdr1 Online Now Jan 19, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I want to book Hotel Presidente. When I try to find the hotel online, I get a lot of other websites offering to book that hotel, but the website of Presidente. I don't know how reliable these other websites are, so I am apprehensive to book through them. Can somebody let me know how they booked Hotel Presidente?

2 Answers Jan 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    • Nailatourist's Profile Photo

ticket to MachuPicchu

by Nailatourist Online Now Oct 25, 2008 at 2:19 PM

hello everyone
      i plan to stay in AC for 1 day and get to MP the morning after.
      I have read different posts and some of them are old so I would
      appreciate an updated information.
      If I arrive by myself to AC and next day I queu to buy my entrance
      ticket to MPicchu, is it something possible to do or do I need to
      book this ticket in advance.
      If i need to buy it in advance, where/how can I do it?
      I will be there around the 26th december 2008
      any days closed because of Christmas holidays?
      Weather? rainy season right?
      thanks so much for your tips and info.

2 Answers Oct 25, 2008 at 11:38 PM
    • Buses to MP

by Mediatriz Online Now Jun 10, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Hi!

Can anyone tell me when the last bus to Machu Picchu (from Aguas Calientes) departs? I will arrive in AC at 1:30 pm and want to make sure I can still make it to the ruins. I'm also planning to stay overnight in AC to see the sunrise in MP.

Thanks!

Trixie

23 Answers May 2, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    • Jase1177's Profile Photo

Aguas Calientes v. Cuzco

by Jase1177 Online Now Apr 28, 2008 at 9:07 AM

I am planning my trip to Machu Picchu for early September and am wondering if it is worth spending the night in Aguas Calientes before I explore the ruins. I've read that it's not worth spending much time in Aguas Calientes, so don't plan that. I was thinking of going spending the night, explore the ruins, then take the train back to Cusco that evening. Do you believe it is worth spending the night so that I can get up early and beat most of the crowds to the ruins? Are the buses or other transport operating before the trains arrive from Cusco? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

7 Answers May 1, 2008 at 12:25 PM
    • Meatblaster's Profile Photo

Inca Trail for one person

by Meatblaster Online Now Mar 13, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Does anyone know if it possible for just one person to join an existing group to hike the 2 or 4 day Inca trail. Where can I sign up?

4 Answers Mar 15, 2008 at 10:14 AM
    • Machupicchu entrance ticket

by atasoyya Online Now Feb 19, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Can anyone tell me where and when I need to get entrance tickets to MAchupicchu?
      Thanks

2 Answers Feb 21, 2008 at 12:59 PM
    • raymondng's Profile Photo

First time

by raymondng Online Now Jul 16, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Hi all,

Reading up on Aguas Calientes seems to remind me of Yangshuo in China. Are they similar in that it's like a backpackers' colony?

Just curious.

3 Answers Feb 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM
    • Location of Inn

by barbarasemple Online Now Jul 1, 2006 at 10:20 AM

Where IS the Wiracocha Inn? Up the Hill or along the main drag?

2 Answers Feb 5, 2007 at 2:18 PM
    • jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

Highseason in July????

by jacquisuiza Online Now Dec 9, 2005 at 12:15 AM

I am planning to spend with whole family some weeks in Ecuador next year. With my 12 years old son I would like to go to Machu Picchu. I wonder if in July/August it is dificult to find a budget hotel/hostal in Aguas Calientes as I do not want to book ahead.
      I want to go to Cuzco (by plane from Ecuador???), spend there 2 days, then by train to Aguas Calientes, spend there a night and with the first bus tu Machu Picchu. When do the busses leave Aguas Calientes in the morning, and is it dificult to get tickets? Do 12 years olds have to pay entrance fee to MP?
      A lot of quetions and I hope to get one or the other answer. Thanks.

2 Answers May 22, 2007 at 9:48 PM
    • Hostel contacts in Aguas Calientes

by sanneshine Online Now May 21, 2005 at 1:17 PM

Hi, i'm wondering if anyone has email addresses/websites of hostels in aguas calientes. i'd like to stay there one night in mid-July and I'm having a hard time with the email addresses in the guidebooks - most of them have bounced back to me. Also any tips on how/when to reserve hostels in aguas calientes.
      I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

3 Answers May 24, 2005 at 3:54 PM
    • distance from aguas calientes to machu pichu gate

by jlbradley Online Now May 1, 2005 at 6:48 AM

hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the distance from a/c to the gate to machu pichu I notice that the pueblo hotel is very costly and says it is across the river from a/c is it closer? and also I see a large price diference for some of the other places to stay I will be there August 22 or 23 2005 should I book ahead? Is it possible to get up early and walk from a/c to the gate or do the busses run before the train arrives? any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated
      thanks

3 Answers May 2, 2005 at 4:08 PM
    • distance from aguas calientes to machu pichu gate

by jlbradley Online Now May 1, 2005 at 6:45 AM

hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the distance from a/c to the gate to machu pichu I notice that the pueblo hotel is very costly and says it is across the river from a/c is it closer? and also I see a large price diference for some of the other places to stay I will be there August 22 or 23 2005 should I book ahead? any help anyone can give me would be gratly appreciated
      thanks

1 Answer Feb 11, 2007 at 9:35 AM
    • Lodging in Machu Picchu?

by lordnkv Online Now Mar 4, 2005 at 7:38 AM

Hello all!

We (my family) are traveling to Machu Picchu in mid March and spending one night in either Machu Picchu or Aguas Calientes. Is it cheaper to make a reservation prior to arrival or to find a room once we get there? What rates can I expect to spend the night there?

Thanks!

4 Answers Jul 16, 2007 at 10:22 AM
    • OZDavid's Profile Photo

Hostal in Aguas Calientes

by OZDavid Online Now Mar 1, 2005 at 9:57 PM

Hi guys,

I will stay one night at Aguas Calientes in April. Could someone know any good hostal to stay. US$20 is my limited.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers,

David

3 Answers Jul 18, 2007 at 3:07 PM
    • Inca Trail trip

by Ciaranm Online Now Oct 17, 2004 at 6:00 AM

hi, we are planning a to do the inca trail in may and were looking for company to go with. Peru Treks & Adventure look pretty good does any good or bad reports about them? any info would be greatly appreciated. also if any one could recomend a good (cheap) hotel/hostel in cuzco. Thanks Ciaran

5 Answers Nov 28, 2004 at 7:48 PM
    • how cold in April

by kallyho Online Now Feb 18, 2004 at 5:17 PM

my dh and I want to visit Cusco and MP but not really do any major hiking or anything. I don't want to bring much gear. What do you think we need for less than a week there so that we will be warm enough. Thanks Kally

1 Answer Feb 19, 2004 at 4:07 AM
    • storyin's Profile Photo

Aguas Calientes / hostel / -5 usd ?

by storyin Online Now Aug 5, 2003 at 9:39 AM

I will stay in Aguas Calientes for 30 days during april ~ may 2004 , Is there any short-term room for rent ?? Is there a single room under 5 usd/per night ? what is the cheapEST way to stay in Aguas Calientes ? thank you ...

2 Answers Jan 28, 2004 at 5:43 PM