Agra Travel Answers

change location

Need local transport at agra

by SRAMESHBABU Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM

on 05.02.2013 at 06.00AM I am at agra railway station along with 9 more members. Need transport arrangement to visit taj mahal and its surroundings, Mathura and back to Agra and catch train to delhi at 07.00PM. Preferably like TATA -WINGER ON INNOVA

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

Re: Need local transport at agra

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 3:32 AM

There will be PLENTY of vehicles available for hire just outside the Railway Station. You need to bargain hard before you all get into the taxi.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 3:45 AM

You are correct Anil. OP will be inundated with people offering day hire taxis. There is also a stand with a list of vehicles and rates per hour, day,etc. I have no idea whether this is official or not but I was happy with the rates I managed to get there (based on what I had been paying elsewhere in India) and I was happy with the car and driver we hired for the day. The driver was just that - a driver and not a guide.

OP is seeking a larger vehicle/ minivan for a group of 9. I don't recall if larger vehicles were listed on the stand I used but I imagine if there isn't one at the station when you get there -- someone will get one and very fast.Like Anil says negotiate.

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Wearrived early too and after a vigorous Bargain with the tuk-tuk driver he took us to our hostel by the south gate for RS100, we just drop the stuff and made our way to the western gate where you by your tickets.
    Indian Nationals pay rs 70 and foreigners RS 700 with your ticket you have discount entrance for another 4 attractions in the area including Agra Forth.
    NOTE:there is rigorous check on the entrance point, and there is list of 10 things which are not permuted on the premises, one of them is flashlight,no pens, no knives, , oh sorry I forgot the rest.. anyhow be prepared that it will be full of ppl waiting to get in.. Sunrise is best time to see Taj Mahal.
    It wont be crowded as in mid day put still plenty of ppl. There are lots of licensed tourist guides in the outer courtyard after clearing entry they charge between RS 500-800 for a tour I suggest to get one and really appreciate the beauty which is Taj Mahal.
    For the journey back arrange with the same driver to come and pick you up at the western gate at designated time and drop you off to the train station. Trust me he will show up, nobody pass up extra work .

• Re: Need local transport at agra

by Borisborough Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

If you have a reasonable zoom lens on a camera, try having a cup of tea (or a meal) at the rooftop restaurant at the Saniya Palace Inn, Chowk Kagziyan,South Gate, | Taj Ganj, Agra 282001. The view to the Taj Mahal is superb - I spent a couple of hours up there taking photographs every five minutes as the Taj Mahal emerged out of the early morning mist - magical!

• y2ketan2007's Profile Photo

by y2ketan2007 Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Like outside every other railway station in India you will have plenty of choice in terms of the type of vehicle even as you step out of the station.Make it clear that you do not want to miss your evening train and keep a cushion of atleast two hours.And plan your sightseeing accordingly.I do not think you will be able to do justice to the Taj and the other sights around Agra in the limited hours that you have.Anyway make the best of whatever you have !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines