Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Travel Answers

change location

how to get to uranopolis

by aboro Online Now Aug 24, 2003 at 10:38 AM

Hi folks, I'm planning a trip to Mount Athos, and trying to figure out the best way to get to Uranopolis. Is there any public transport there other than the scheduled buses from Thessaloniki? Maybe from Kavala??

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • StefanosS's Profile Photo

Re: how to get to uranopolis

by StefanosS Online Now Aug 28, 2003 at 6:41 PM

As far as I know, the "KTEL of Chalkidiki" bus service has buses from Thessaloniki and from Athens to Ouranoupolis, in connection with the boat from Ouranoupolis to Dafni. If you take a bus from Kavala to Thessaloniki, you can get off at the cross-road of Stavros, and then find another vehicle to Ouranoupolis by hitch-hike. Most cars going to Ouranoupolis are passing from Stavros. Check one more possibility: From Kavala there are boats making a cruise around Athos peninsula and if you get on such a boat, you can land at Ouranoupolis. But you have to stay there for the night and take the boat to Dafni next morning. Please have a look at my page on Mount Athos, there is a lot of info. Stefanos Thessaloniki, Greece

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: how to get to uranopolis

by crizeak Online Now Sep 3, 2004 at 11:48 AM

Kavala will be a hard but from Thessaloniki that also haw an international airport will be very easy to catch the bus for uranoupolis. I think every hour up to 20.00 there is a bus. Then you will have to take the ferry as there is no road!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Aghion Oros (Mount Athos) Travel Answer Locations