Adelaide Travel Answers

change location

Hotel and travel in Adelaide

by Nicolas1983 Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Hello everyone,

I plan to visit in Adelaide between May 7th and 12th, I appreciate somebody who can propose a good/cheap hotel near Hutt St and easy traffic to Adelaide airport. Of course I would like to make wonderful sight-seeing around Adelaide so would apreciate your kind suggestions... (:-

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • sirgaw's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel and travel in Adelaide

by sirgaw Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Can't help with hotel suggestions, but try wotif.com and have a look at the specials for accom.

You don't say where you come from on your homepage or interests - and these both help us help you. For a day trip the Adelaide Hills and particularly Hardorf the German town. Also Barrossa Valley for the wineries. Adelaide has a very good immigration museum. Checks members pages for Adelaide for more information.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Hotel and travel in Adelaide

by Nicolas1983 Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Hi Sirgal, thank you very much. I'm from China, happy for your help.(:-

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

by ettiewyn Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I agree, the Migration Museum is absolutely great!!! You should spend an afternoon or so in Glenelg for beach and maybe shopping if you like. Port Adelaide is the harbour, I think the harbour itself is not that great, but there are some nice historical buildings, a good Maritime Museum, and you can do different cruises there, for example to see dolphins. I have not done this though, so I can't say how it was:
    portprincess.com.au/index.ph...

If you like the TV series "McLeod's Daughters": It is possible to do a day trip to the locations where the series was filmed, have a look at www.mcleodscountry.com.au. I did a private tour in 2009 and it was a fantastic day.

Adeaide's city centre is also nice, particularly a stroll around North Terrace to see the buildings of the University of South Australia and the University of Adelaide, both beautiful, and a stroll around the Torrens River and Elder Park.

There is also the Museum of South Australia, not as good as the other one, but still worth a look if you like museums.

Again I agree with my previous poster, the Adelaide Hills and the Barossa Valley are beautiful! I have not been to Hahndorf as I am from Germany and I heard from other Germans that Hahndorf is not at all a real representation of Germany, but rather like a "terrible cliché German theme park" (that was a quote), but as I have not been there, I cannot judge and I guess it's quite popular among the members of VT.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

by ettiewyn Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Mh, I don't think McLeod's Daughters is shown on Chinese TV... Sorry ;-)

by Nicolas1983 Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Hello Ettie! You really have a good guide to me! Thank you very much. I'm now applying the visa for Australia, hope I can manage my schedule and do the travel with most amazing! I visited some European countries but most are fast sight seeing, this time I plan to visit only in one city that is Adelaide, maybe next in another city. I would like to know deeply and appreciation of the city history and the culture, that would be of course different than my experiece....

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Hi Nicholas
    Third vote here for the Migration Museum - as David and Mirjam have said, it's a really excellent, enjoyable and thoughtprovoking experience. South Australians are particularly proud - the rest of us would suggest that this pride is verging on smugness - of their heritage as it was the only State/Territory in the Australian Commonwealth that wasn't settled by convicts.
    I also really enjoyed hiring a bike and cycling along the cycle path that runs alongside the River Torrence from the city centre to the coast where you can reward yourself with something delicious to eat! The unimaginately named Linear Park stretches 40km along the river, and you can also follow it inland up into the Adelaide Hills if you're feeling energetic.
    On the subject of things to eat, you can't go to Adelaide and not eat a 'pie floater'. This peculiar regional delicacy is a meat pie placed upside down on a dish, surrounded by a green lagoon of mushy peas and garnished with a liberal squirting of tomato sauce (ketchup) which you then eat with a spoon. Nowhere near as bad as it looks or sounds! When I'm in Adelaide, I frequent the pie cart outside the railway station, but there are many places where you can try this - make sure that someone photographs you tackling one of these things, as nobody at home will believe that you've actually eaten one!
    Adelaide prides itself on being a stronghold of 'foodie' culture, and is justifiably proud of its excellent local produce, of which the Barossa Valley wines are an excellent example. An interesting and affordable way of sampling this is to wander around the Adelaide Central Market and marvel at the range of wonderful produce on offer: many stalls will allow you to have a taste of what they're selling, and you'll walk away with an original and affordable picnic!
    If you want a REALLY cultural experience, you could also take yourself to an Aussie rules football game at the Adelaide Crows or Port Adelaide, as the season will just be underway when you visit. I love sport, but I confess that I never got my head around Aussie rules. However, even I appreciate that it is an exceptionally skilful and physical game (a mixture of rugby and Gaelic football) and the one game I've come across where the sleeves are already ripped off the players' jerseys before they start! Aussie rules attracts a family crowd, so there are not the same concerns about crowd violence that you might have, for example, at soccer games in England, and it's worth going just to see how caught up the spectators get in the game!
    It's a pity that you don't have more time, as otherwise I'd have recommended taking a tour to Kangaroo Island, but I think that given your time limitations, that would be cutting it too tight.
    Enjoy Adelaide - I think it's a much underrated city!
    Regards
    Cathy

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Hutt street is in the centre of the city so any Hotel in the city will be reasonably close. I don,t know of any Hotel in Hutt street itself. Look at google maps then go into tripadvisor for hotels and you can "map" the hotel to see where it is. The Grosvenor hotel is in North terrace and they have rooms at various prices.
    As I drive to the airport and park there I,m not sure if there is a shuttle bus, many years ago I did use the shuttle and it was expensive, a taxi would probably cost the same.
    The South Australian Tourism office has a number of day trips available, I would recommend the Barossa valley. I think the Tourism office is on the corner of North Terrace and King William Street.
    The Art Gallery of South Australia and the Museum are near each other on North terrace but I agree that the Migration museum is very interesting. This is on Kintore avenue, just off North Terrace.

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Apr 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Hi Nicolas
    I forgot to mention that the Adelaide Botanical Gardens are also very nice - again off North Terrace (as you might be beginning to appreciate, there is a cluster of tourist attractions in this area).
    It's a lovely peaceful spot which is excellently laid out (although I must declare my bias, as the director is married to a friend of mine, so I can't be entirely objective). It's the perfect place to catch your breath, have a bite to eat (this is where the picnic you've assembled from the Central Market comes in!), read a book or just have a nap under a tree. It also occasionally hosts concerts and other events, so look out for information in the tourist office (usually there are free Adelaide guides on display at the airport).
    Regards
    Cathy

• adelaidean's Profile Photo

by adelaidean Online Now Apr 12, 2011 at 2:39 AM

I was talking to a friend of mine, and she told me that the pie cart is no longer! Such an icon should never have been taken away! :-)

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Apr 12, 2011 at 2:47 AM

Shock!!! Horror!!! Surely there's some sort of grant for the preservation of such cultural icons???
    So now we need to provide Nicolas with an alternative, since by now his mouth will be watering with anticipation! Where's the best (alternative) pie floater to be had in Adelaide??? (In fact I'm almost tempted to post that on the Miscellaneous forum just to savour the bamboozled reaction!!!)

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Apr 12, 2011 at 5:52 AM

Couple of points on other posters comments.

Pie floater is a must and so too is a strange sandwich that you might come across - meat and gravy in a sandwich. Sort of hot and needs a knife and fork - LOL

Immigration museum - many Chinese travelled to South Australia and then walked to the Victorian gold fields rather than pay the tax that was imposed in the Chinese. That tax was 10 pounds and would have been a fortune back in the 1850/60's. Towns like Robe in South Australia had their basis on that trek. I learnt that when in the Immigration Museum and not sure if that information is available on line.

For eating out North Adelaide is very popular.

Enjoy

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Apr 12, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Sounds very messy indeed!

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Apr 12, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Hi! I don't know whether you will have a car or not, even if not, a trip to Victor Harbour and Granite Island is a great day. I have quite a few places on my tips if you would like to have a look.
    This link will take you to my Mt. Lofty Ranges page, but there are other pages on Adelaide, Strathalbyn, Lobethal, Hahndorf and Sth Australia.
    "Beautiful Mt. Lofty Ranges" - Mount Lofty Range by balhannah

Have a great time in Adelaide!

by Nicolas1983 Online Now Apr 13, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Hello my friends, appreciated to your kind help. Now I can schedule many of my visit in Adelaide with your proposed places. I want to stay in Adelaide in around 4 to 5 days, now I would like to fix my accom. I search in the google map and found several hotels around Hutt St but some of them are too expensive for my trip. Do you have some suggestions where near Hutt St and the house is available with free wire-fire, shower, breakfast, and easy traffic to the airport??? ^_^

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Apr 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Hi Nicolas
    Is there any particular reason why you need to stay around Hutt Street in particular? Public trasnport in ADL is prety reasonable, so would you consider other locations if they were cheaper?
    Regards
    Cathy

by Nicolas1983 Online Now Apr 13, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Hello Catherine, thank you very much for your information. Because I don't know how is the traffic in Adelaide and I have a frient live in Hutt St so I would like to accom. near him. But as you said the traffic in Adelaide is very comvenient, so it will be don't matter where I accom. it would be my grateful if you can have some suggestions for me? ^_^ Price arnd AUD80 per night will be best! (((:-

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Apr 13, 2011 at 4:12 AM

There are no Hotels in Hutt street, look at a map of the central city and you can see where Hutt street is in relation to all the places we have recommended. It would be no more than 2 km to walk to North Terrace and your friend could tell you which number bus to catch to visit him if you need public transport. Hutt street is in the centre of Adelaide, not in the suburbs, I would say Hutt street is no more than 2 km long.
    There is no easy transport to the airport, a taxi would cost about15 and if there is a shuttle bus, this would cost at least10. There are buses from the airport but they either go north or south which isn,t useful to you, the website for buses in Adelaide is called transadelaide.
    Use google to look for adelaide/airport/shuttle and you will see if there is such a thing.
    If you definitely want a hotel room in the centre of the city I still recommend Grosvenor, nearly all hotels in the city belong to expensive chains like Hilton, Hyatt, Stamford. There is a youth hostel but I assume you don,t want to use this and I can,t say what it is like. Use the website tripadvisor and you can narrow your search down to budget and so on. Wotif and laterooms are also good websites.

by Nicolas1983 Online Now Apr 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Hello Marqsch, you really have a good suggesting for me! Now I noted and I will try to find a hotel by them...

• Aussieanne's Profile Photo

by Aussieanne Online Now Aug 17, 2011 at 6:00 AM

Hello everyone on this forum - bit late for information for the Adelaide visit, but I work on Hutt Street and there is a budget travellers hotel - I just can't remember the name of it right now. I work at 134 Hutt and it is probably 2 blocks up so maybe around 160 or so...... just in case there is someone else out there needing this information.

To the traveller I hope you got here O.K. and had a fantastic time - I have lived here all my life and it is the best place - hope you thought so too.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines