Travel Answers
Addis Ababa

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• IrishdI's Profile Photo

Vaccines- When traveling to Addis, is the yellow fever vaccine absolutely necessary?

by IrishdI Online Now Mar 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM

When traveling to Addis, is the yellow fever vaccine absolutely necessary? Thank you.

3 Answers Mar 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    • vaccnations

by deanhof Online Now Feb 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM

What vaccinations are needed or recommended?

3 Answers Feb 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    • vaccnations

by deanhof Online Now Feb 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM

What vaccinations needed or recommended?

1 Answer Feb 25, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    • vaccnations

by deanhof Online Now Feb 25, 2014 at 3:25 PM

What vaccinations needed or recommended?

1 Answer Feb 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    • altitudes

by dreamLady Online Now Feb 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Hi: )

I plan on going to Addis Ababas towards the end of April for 6days,

I am very excited but also worry about the high altitude.
      I am from the U.S.. I am a light smoker and also had anxiety in the past.Also I already suffer from headaches. I have doc appointment and im just nervous about the altitude and dont want this worry to ruin my once in a life time trip!! Please help!!

6 Answers Feb 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    • Anywhere to watch NFL games?

by 1stThingsFoundation Online Now Nov 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I've been country for 4 months now and could really use a good American football game! Plus, my Broncos play the Chiefs tomorrow at 9pm local time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 Answers Dec 7, 2013 at 1:21 AM
    • Dangerous for women?

by solala Online Now Nov 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I was told that I shouldn't take my camera with me since it might be stolen. I am a woman and love to discover everything on my own. So do I have to be afraid?

6 Answers Dec 15, 2013 at 3:58 AM
    • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Things not to miss in Addis Ababa - photographically

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Oct 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM

We are going to be spending a few days and will have a chance to poke around Addis Ababa for a few days before we head out to explore other parts of Ethiopia.

As avid photographers, we are looking for interesting places for street photography as well as shooting cityscapes. The mercato looks to be a great place to see and photograph people. Any other suggestions and general tips would be appreciated.

5 Answers Nov 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    • Need a hairdryer that will work in remote areas around Addis.

by olesouthernbelle Online Now Oct 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM

What hairdryer will work in the suburbs of Addis? What electrical requirements? Friends who've been say they haven't been successful with any combination.

6 Answers Nov 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    • Immunization:

by teresabembury Online Now Oct 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I received 2 days confirmation notice to go to Ethiopia (Addis Ababa) on business trip. I am taking the place of a someone who could not go. My stay is only 3 days. I leave in 2 days, should I make a rush appointment for immunization or does the short time there reduces my chance? . I read that immunization shots should be done 2-6 weeks before the trip. So wouldn't it be ineffective any way if I do? Please advise. Thank you
      FYI- I will be a major hotel, and will only eat the food provided there and at the business event.

14 Answers Oct 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    • Vacation in Ethiopia

by merchantoftravel Online Now Apr 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Hi,
      I am planning to backpack in Ethiopia sometime this November with my fiance. Please give me any details that would help me. Expenses. Food. Warnings. Places to visit. How many days would be required to cover several places of interest in Ethiopia. Do I need to take the help of a local travel agency. Last year we backpacked through central and Southern Sri Lanka for 11 days without the help of any travel agency. Is this possible in Ethiopia? Please give me some information on the above and any additional information would be really helpful.

7 Answers Feb 13, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    • hannette's Profile Photo

Accomodation near airport

by hannette Online Now Dec 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Hello,

Does anyone know of budget accomodation close to Bole Airport in Addis?
      We are arriving in the evening and leaving on another flight early in the morning.
      Is it possible to stay over at a lounge in the airport or are their any budget ho(s)tels?

Thanks!

3 Answers Sep 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM
    • public transport in eyhiopia

by sergedhont Online Now Nov 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hello,

We are planning a tour in Ethiopia.
      Normaly, we travel on our own with public transport and sometimes a taxi.
      Is it possible to use public transport (buses) in Ethiopia?
      All information is wellcome.

Many thanks in advance

3 Answers Dec 6, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    • Tourism Colleges

by WDJ Online Now Nov 22, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I would like some contact information about two colleges offering tourism courses(Maedot College and Lion College ) in Addis Ababa. Are they still operating, are they accredited/legitmate and to whom can I direct questions ?

• iaint's Profile Photo

hotels, tour organisers

by iaint Online Now Nov 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM

2 questions...
      - I've emailed the Jupiter International Cazanchise looking for a booking, but no reply after 3 weeks; any thoughts or suggestions? Do I have to phone?
      - Any suggestions for a reliable company to go to for excursions outside the city and tours of the city itself?

5 Answers Jan 14, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    • CONTACT INFORMATION

by jsbhatty Online Now Sep 6, 2011 at 7:06 AM

PLEASE GIVE CONTACT DETAILS LIKE EMAIL ID AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS OF BARO HOTEL AND ETHIOPIAN GUST HOUSE OR OTHER BUDGET HOTELS.
      J.S. Bhatty

1 Answer Sep 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    • daytours in adis on 2nd or 3rd of may

by westybeast Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM

hello.

i am in adis for 2 days on the above date.

which attractions would you recommend to see and should i get a taxi , walk around the centre or get a day tour from which company ?

2 Answers Apr 15, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    • Medim Hotels

by Adeshina Online Now Nov 6, 2010 at 6:26 AM

I will like to know the average costs of rooms per night in medium hotels in Addis ababa and possibly their location,most espectially those with night clubs where a tourist can relax. thanks.

2 Answers Nov 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    • Moving to Addis

by j444444 Online Now Oct 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Hi There,

I'm moving (alone) to Addis soon as an expat for 2 years.

I'm coming November and will probably stay in a hotel/or Appartment temporarily until I find a permanent residence.

I will appreciate any feedback from people living there in terms of social life , transportation, housing rent, internet access/prices (are we able to get internet on a mobile phone ?), weather and security.

Hobbies and sports ?

Do you still have Electricity/Water cut ?

What do I need to pay attention to ?

Thanks

5 Answers Oct 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    • Rent a car without a driver in Ethiopia

by Stephnovember Online Now Oct 5, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Hello,

I am searching the whole www to find out if it is possible to rent a car without a driver in Ethiopia. Anybody has any contacts? Or advise?

We live in Africa so we are used to very bad road conditions and we have driven in plenty of other countries so for us the issue of safety/bad roads etc does not make a difference as we experience this on a day to day basis.

We like to rent a car without a driver so we are free to go where we want to without planning to much. Or is it possible to get around in taxi for reasonable prices? Or would this be very expensive?

Please help me....

• Internet access

by lynlyn555 Online Now Aug 17, 2010 at 3:16 AM

I am a UK student who is travelling to Addis in October for a 10 day trip. I'm working on a dissertation for my university course and it would be very helpful to have internet access while I'm there so I don't fall behind on my work.

What is the best way to get internet as a tourist? I've heard of CDMA and that they allow rental, but it seems very complicated. Is there an easy way?

5 Answers Aug 30, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    • Security in Addis Ababa

by sebligerien Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I may go to Addis-Ababa for work. I first would like to know if the city is safe. Some say it is one of the most secured city in Africa, but I read on the official French government website that some troubles occurred in 2008 and 2009 (explosions). What's your opinion about that?
      Thank you for your help.

3 Answers Aug 17, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    • where is Tblisi restaurant exactly?

by skybandit Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Hi - following DAO's recommendation I went off for a meal at Tblisi, but simply could not find it. I turned off bole road following the pizzeria signs, but couldn't see it anywhere "near" the pizzeria. Must have asked 50 people where it was, but nobodt knew. So - DAO or anyone else - do you have some more precise directions?

thanks

1 Answer Jun 1, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    • Looking for Good Hotels in Addis Ababa

by BrownServers Online Now Oct 29, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Considering a trip to Addis Ababa. Looking for good hotels and good rates. Anyone know of anything?

8 Answers Oct 21, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    • Car rental without a driver along

by gpayne Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Hey there:

It's not clear from the travel guide I own whether it is possible to rent a car for travel outside Addis without having to pay for a driver. I'm sure a driver would come in extremely handy at times. But my girlfriend and I have traveled many less developed countries safely and relatively easily in rented cars, and we'd prefer to drive ourselves. We live in snowy rural Minnesota (USA of course) and both drive 4x4 vehicles, so we're experienced with backroad travel difficulties. Like most Yanks we have little vacation time and need to cover much ground.

So...where is a reliable outlet from which a smaller 4x4 can be rented. We aren't necessarily seeking something new or expensive, not looking to attract any more attention than we have to.

Any tips on traveling this way? Are we insane for trying it? If we have to hire a driver as well, how does this work as far as hotel, eating, tips etc? Thanks a ton for your comments. gp

2 Answers Jul 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    • good accomodation on / nearby bole road

by mody1212 Online Now Jun 23, 2009 at 10:36 AM

i planing to visit adis next month for the first time to have fun,i have heard that the bole road is the crowded with restaurants and cafe ,i like to sit in these cafe and enjoy watching people and being charmed by the beautify of Ethiopian girls , i would appreciate if you could recommed nice hotel or guest house supplied with not water on this vivid road or nearby(walking distance)and close to this restaurants and cafe

1 Answer Nov 20, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    • Meal coupons

by viennajen Online Now Jun 23, 2009 at 5:45 AM

Someone mentioned free meal coupons being sold by HOPE foundation. Where do I buy these?

2 Answers Jun 23, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    • Sami29's Profile Photo

Piazza area - Addis Ababa

by Sami29 Online Now Mar 5, 2009 at 2:10 AM

Can anyone please advise on a good, guest friendly and mid-range hotel in Piazza area? Has anyone stayed in National hotel? Is it guest friendly? Or Taitu Hotel?
      Thanks for your assistance.

7 Answers May 24, 2009 at 9:26 AM
    • Weather

by NickGeorge Online Now Dec 11, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Hello folks,

I head out in a couple of days for my Egypt/Sudan/Ethiopia trip, and I'm wondering how much warm clothes I need. If I have some long sleeve shirts and a fleece, do I need a coat?

Thanks,
      Nick

2 Answers Dec 16, 2008 at 10:42 AM
    • suzanka46's Profile Photo

yellow fever immunization

by suzanka46 Online Now Dec 10, 2008 at 3:08 PM

My daughter and I are going to Addis Ababa Ethiopia Jan/08/09 to pick up her newly adopted daughter. I am getting all the recommended immunizations except the yellow fever because of a possible allergic reaction due to the fact I am allergic to eggs. My question is --is this shot required or just a recommendation? We are staying in an American run guest house and will not be in any rural areas.I have been getting different info on the yellow fever immunization shot. Any other recommendations on the city would be appreciated.

5 Answers Dec 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM