Addis Ababa Travel Answers

change location

Car rental without a driver along

by gpayne Online Now Jul 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Hey there:

It's not clear from the travel guide I own whether it is possible to rent a car for travel outside Addis without having to pay for a driver. I'm sure a driver would come in extremely handy at times. But my girlfriend and I have traveled many less developed countries safely and relatively easily in rented cars, and we'd prefer to drive ourselves. We live in snowy rural Minnesota (USA of course) and both drive 4x4 vehicles, so we're experienced with backroad travel difficulties. Like most Yanks we have little vacation time and need to cover much ground.

So...where is a reliable outlet from which a smaller 4x4 can be rented. We aren't necessarily seeking something new or expensive, not looking to attract any more attention than we have to.

Any tips on traveling this way? Are we insane for trying it? If we have to hire a driver as well, how does this work as far as hotel, eating, tips etc? Thanks a ton for your comments. gp

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • DAO's Profile Photo

Re: Car rental without a driver along

by DAO Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM

The problem you have is that the rental places will really do not like renters to go off paved roads. That means the vast majority of Ethiopia is off limits. From their prospective a single vehicle could take several families 2 generations to save up. No way are they going to trust you with it.

If you hire the car and driver (look at about100 a day if you negotiate very hard) the drivers costs are included. The driver can stay at the same hotel in staff quarters and eat for less than10 a day. You pay the fee, the driver will be taken care of inside the agreed fee.

I would recommend just flying Ethiopian domestic to the historic cities. Will give you more time and once outside Addis you could probably hire a taxi and/or driver for30-40 a day.

The cost of living is very cheap.

Have a great time.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DAO's Profile Photo

Re: Car rental without a driver along

by DAO Online Now Jul 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Costs would include fuel/mileage.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines