Achill Island Travel Answers

change location

AudreySue

by AudreySue Online Now Sep 9, 2005 at 10:27 AM

I'm heading to Achill Island next weekend...loved reading all of your posts and seeing your photos! Spent a week in a thatched roof cottage in Donegal last fall and am renting a similar cottage on the island. I'm expecting to have bad hair all week and will pack rain gear. Flying into Shannon and will pick up groceries on the way. Any tips or advice for a September trip?

Liz

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RhineRoll's Profile Photo

RE: AudreySue

by RhineRoll Online Now Sep 9, 2005 at 2:07 PM

It's a beautiful place for sure! There were reports of a midge problem this summer so you are pretty smart to come to the Island this time of year. Where on the Island are you staying?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: AudreySue

by AudreySue Online Now Sep 12, 2005 at 10:15 AM

Hi! We're staying at the beach cottages (1 or 2) on Keel Beach. I'm guessing a midge is like a mosquito? Already have a pump bottle of "OFF" ready to pack, just in case! It looks so beautiful, I can't wait! Where did you stay?

L

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

RE: RE: AudreySue

by RhineRoll Online Now Sep 12, 2005 at 10:22 AM

In a cottage a bit outside of keel whereas yours is quite centrally located in the village. Midges are different from mosquitoes in that they are much smaller, but unfortunately they make that up in numbers and aggressiveness. I don't think you'll have many problems with midges this time of year. Keel Beach is both beautiful and vast. The chinese restaurant and the takeaway provide budget food options, the village butcher has expensive, but excellent local produce. For more -- feel free to visit my Achill pages here on VT

• RE: AudreySue

by Midtimer Online Now Sep 14, 2005 at 3:04 PM

Hi Audrey, you might just get this post before your flight, I just came on VT tonight, first in a long time. Was in Achill a few weeks ago, there was no midge but was poor weather with a lot of wind. Haven't seen them here in Ireland for a long time. Have been on Achill a few times, its a beautiful scenic place. The weather is to be good from Fri-Monday with high pressure coming in from the west so your coming at a good time. Don't tell the locals your from Nashville or they will have you singing country songs! Have a great time

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines