Achill Island Travel Answers

change location
RhineRoll's Profile Photo

Midges on Achill

by RhineRoll Online Now Apr 27, 2004 at 8:44 AM

One rarely gets warnings/complaints about Midges in Ireland, but at least in areas with blanket bog (like Achill Island), they must be around. Is my guess correct, that the problem is not as bad as in the Scottish Highlands? I'll be on Achill in July and should there be a warm and calm evening, it'd be great to be able to sit outside the cottage without having to fear Scottish-style air raids. I'm a bit careful after my last year's experience from South Uist. People told me there weren't any midges on the Outer Hebrides, and if there had been (strictly theroetically speaking...), then it'd be always windy enough to keep them from flying. WELL, we had a hot week with temperatures well above 25 Celsius and NO wind...flat out calm... and GUESS WHO was VISITING US??? GRRRRRR HOW I HATE THOSE MIDGES!!!!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • F_Meignant's Profile Photo

Re: Midges on Achill

by F_Meignant Online Now Apr 27, 2004 at 10:18 AM

I walked around Achill 4 years ago in July. There were midges obviously, but it was really bearable. I would say that there are less than on Ireland's main land. Have a nice trip! Fran├žois

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • maxamus's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Midges on Achill

by maxamus Online Now Apr 27, 2004 at 11:20 AM

Warm weather & fresh water = Midges in all of the European locations i have visited. When i visited Lake Myvatn (lake of the Midges) in Iceland, i was advised that only the Females start taking human+animal blood when they need extra nutrition for their 2nd brood of eegs (usually at the end of july). I was there in June & not eaten. Dave.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

by RhineRoll Online Now Apr 27, 2004 at 11:36 AM

I've been to Sweden & Norway before visiting Scotland -- obviously lots of mosquitoes there. They were a nuisance, but nothing really to bother too much about. Midges are something different. They are tiny, but incredibly aggressive, and they make up in number what they lack in size. And, with reference to the female midge, let me just cite from "Scotland for Beginners": "Midge-bites can of course be most tiresome, but it may be as well to remember that these occur at only one time of year (the holiday season). Furthermore, midges themselves will be found only in parts of Scotland where there is water. Finally, it is only the female midge that bites. Needless irritation can therefore be avoided by the simple expedient of approaching only the male of the species." Makes sense, doesn't it? ;-)

by RhineRoll Online Now Apr 27, 2004 at 12:15 PM

At any rate, I'll not forget to take along a bottle of Shoo ...

• sean65's Profile Photo

by sean65 Online Now Apr 28, 2004 at 5:53 AM

Compared to Scotland and New Zealand, the midges in Achill are tame and not in the same league. They are not really a problem. For instance, if they are about, a cigarette smoker would disperse them.

• RE: Midges on Achill

by lifebeinit Online Now Jul 25, 2005 at 2:08 AM

I have just returned from achill on 23 july and i can assure you their are part which are relly infested with midges. We stayed at Ocean Edge cottage and you get bitten alive here and it was not possible to use the garden whch faced the sea. This is on the East of the Island and I would not recommend it to anyone. Locally they dug peat which causes the problem.

More info on request.

RE: RE: Midges on Achill

by RhineRoll Online Now Jul 26, 2005 at 2:30 AM

Interesting to read. We never had Midge problems on Achill. What was the weather like? When did they come out?

• RE: Midges on Achill

by 1polo Online Now Aug 17, 2005 at 5:23 AM

What a terrible spoiler on a wonderful place!Those midges sure know how to ruin a holiday!Bitten to the core by those bas.....!That's the first and last time I'll set foot in the place.I suspect there isn't a local tourist board for the area,because if there was one,maybe they may have warned us tourists about the scourge of the Midges and even marketed some repellant(but then again that would be considered too forwardly thinking in those parts)
    Nice scenary...too bad about the locals(and I don't mean the people!)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines