Achill Island Travel Answers

change location
Traveldi's Profile Photo

Fun to be had in Achill

by Traveldi Online Now Apr 12, 2004 at 7:59 AM

Dear VT's I am heading to Achill on Saturday and would love to know about interesting places to enjoy while I am there! Thank you! Travel Di

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Fun to be had in Achill

by Celticfawn Online Now Apr 12, 2004 at 2:15 PM

I envy you, Achill is one of my favorite places! On your way out there be sure to stop and see Rockfleet castle. (on the road from Newport) It is marked by a tiny sign that just says "castle" with an arrow. This one was owned by Grace O'Malley and the "house" next door has the key if it is locked. He tries to get it open every morning - the latch works hard so give a good twist and a shove - although you might enjoy walking over to see the gorgeous estate next door! There is another castle on down the road that has better signage but it is lived in and wasn't open for viewing when we were there but it was good for a photo op. The beach at the end of the road is just spectacular - great place to take a picnic even if you have to eat it in your car because of rain, wind, etc. Incredible waterfalls, cliffs, and the sea is gorgeous. there are some old buildings that were used by fishermen and some unique boats. Take the road up to the dam and the lake above - on a clear day the view is incredible - on a foggy day it is mysterious and intriguing. The road itself is one of wonder as it climbs and twists and bends - do go off and explore the little roads that head over to the ocean and on the way back you might want to take the road through the lake area to the north before heading back to Newport or Westport. There is not too much in the little town - a pub or two and some B&B's - This area is really best for nature lovers that just want to appreciate one of God's masterpieces. Kat

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Traveldi's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Fun to be had in Achill

by Traveldi Online Now Apr 13, 2004 at 2:13 AM

Thank you Kat, Sounds amazing, I will definitely check out the things you mentioned, that is great advice. It sounds just like the relaxing break I need, with great scenery - we are all really looking forward to it. Thanks again for your advice!

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

Re: Fun to be had in Achill

by RhineRoll Online Now Apr 25, 2004 at 1:39 AM

I'll spend a week on Achill in early July -- please share your impressions! We'll also be in Northern Ireland the week before, but we've decided to visit the Antrim Coast (Bushmills) and will probably just drive through West Belfast to do a bit of Trouble Tourism.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines