Accra Travel Answers

change location
Gergelad's Profile Photo

Wheelchair accessibility

by Gergelad Online Now Dec 22, 2004 at 2:28 PM

I am thinking of visting Accra and I wanted to know how accessibile Accra is to people in wheelchairs. I use a 300lb powerchair (non-foldable) and I'm looking for information on- - Accessable transportation - general and vans in particular - local within Accra mainly + visiting nearby areas. - How accessable are hotels, shopping, tourist places, night clubs/bars - Attitudes in Ghann re disabled people (i.e Are they likely to help or hinder?)

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Wheelchair accessibility

by bawerni Online Now Jan 22, 2005 at 11:59 AM

please contact me at 2kevin2@ifrance.com I can give you somme information about visiting ghana david

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Wheelchair accessibility

by abena Online Now Feb 22, 2005 at 2:38 PM

I am an RN and have just returned from Ghana on 2/21/05. The trip was a short one, but I managed to get a feel for the medical situation there. The positives, people are always willing to help. The Hotel I stayed at in Accra, the capitol, was Not wheelchair accessible. They did have rooms on the first floor, however there were about 8-9 steps to get into the front door. At Cape Coast, a 3 hour ride southwest, the Elmina Beach Hotel indeed was w/c accessible. Mind you the air conditioning didn't work in every room and I had a case of heat exhaustion... I did notice the area in general is Not very w/c accessible. As they only have flusing toilets in major hotels and some major restaurants, this becomes easily understandable. Ghana is a third world country, their people are lucky to make90. per month. The 2 hospitals I saw did not even have air conditioning! I saw no one using a w/c until my last day there. It was at the Accra Art centre outdoor market. They were 2 male adults, selling wares just like other vendors. Certainly, I believe Ghanains would have No predijuce toward a disabled individual. They seem to be a very accepting people. However, if you do plan to visit, please research the ability to care for your medical needs extensively! Oh yea, buses, simply forget about using them....again think third world nation. Best of Luck, Abena

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Accra