Accra Travel Answers

change location
Suzanne123's Profile Photo

accra, help!!!!

by Suzanne123 Online Now Oct 7, 2003 at 11:32 AM

Are there any other travellers who will be in Ghana for November or December? For those who know Ghana, is Accra safe for a fair, blue-eyed, femalee, single travellor? Or for any woman not accustomed to the culture? Is there a way to get around inexxpensively, yet safely without having to depend on first class hotels, restaurants, and taxis. Are the notices put out by the U.S and Candadian forriegn affairs people just a precuation, or is unexpected violence escalating. I understand that in the past Ghana has been safe, and that Ghanians are hospitable people, but are these new threats random rare acts, or should they be expected and will become the new norm? Robberies do happen everywhere, and anywhere in the wold where tourists are, there will be more risk, but I am trying to judge what to expect for Accra. What is prudent?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • fabrice's Profile Photo

Re: accra, help!!!!

by fabrice Online Now Oct 7, 2003 at 8:07 PM

you do not seem to understand that you should not stay alive more than 4 hours in accra,according to your description maybe you will not be raped between the airport and downtown,but not sure

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: accra, help!!!!

by momojo Online Now Oct 16, 2003 at 7:10 AM

I will be visiting Ghana in November 2003 for the first time. I am visiting my friend who lives there so he can guide me to the best hotels,restaurants,etc. I do have some concerns for my safety, and for my health. I have had the yellow fever vaccine, and will take malaria pills as well. My friend is from Ghana, so I feel I can trust his judgement, but I would be concerned for you travelling on your own. Most larger hotels would be safe, but if going places make sure you tell someone where you will be and when to expect you back, in case of trouble. Also, be cautious about the food and water,especially. My friends family (who are all natives) don't drink the water -alway have bottled water and drink only brand name. Check to make sure the seal on the bottle is intact. Bring lots of bug spray with DEET and maybe a small first aid kit with bandages,tylenol or ibuprofen, anti-diarrheal medication, triple antibiotic ointment, etc. The medical facilities in Ghana are ok, but not up to US standards. I don't fear for my personal safety,mainly because I will have my male friend with me at all times, but I would definitely be cautious in big crowds or at markets. There is a big problem with credit card theft so if you purchase with credit, make sure you get the carbons. Good luck on your trip and have a fun, safe vacation!

• Re: accra, help!!!!

by olivierf Online Now Oct 25, 2003 at 9:08 AM

Hello, Suzanne, I'll be traveling with my wife in Ghana on November and december...May be we can meet ther, never know, I can give you our e-mail if you like... I've never been to Ghana but I've travelled a lot in other african countries, and I've met some occidental girls travelling by themselves, and they never had any major troubles in blackAfrica, it was not the same in north Africa...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Accra