Acapulco Travel Answers

change location

transportation for disabled traveler

by MellowMel Online Now Sep 25, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Arriving via cruise ship, most of a day to tour, and wonder if we should pre-arrange for a car & driver for a disabled traveler. The cruise excursions are too long or not accessible for wheelchair confined. Any suggestions?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • melosh's Profile Photo

Re: transportation for disabled traveler

by melosh Online Now Sep 26, 2008 at 5:28 AM

If you have already decided that the cruise excursion can not be done then you do not have much of an alternative other than contacting a guide with flexibility, but I would be surprised if you can find one with a vehicle modified with a special wheelchair lift. I would also be surprised if you could rent such a vehicle, but maybe . . .

If you have not already done so, you could ask the cruise line (not just your local sales agent) if they know of anyone, but even though I am sure that this is not a unusual problem do not be surprised if they can not or will not help you: they are in the mass tourism business. Still I think you should certainly insist that you be able to leave the ship before the group tour folks and the lines of debarking passengers. You may have to try to arrange this when at sea.

I did search google for "Acapulco tours for disabled" but the few sites that came up did not look promising, but the name of one person, Rosie, did show up who seemed to get very good reviews. Her husband apparently is also a guide and might even be the better choice if lifting is required. They sound like the type of people you want to contact, small independent operators. They seem to be quite modest in their charges and my guess is that they could arrange anything or answer your questions. They probably will know many of the tour guides and if they can not fit you into their schedule can connect you with someone who can. I am sure you can find their contact information somewhere on the internet. If you are going to pay for a car and driver you should really get a driver-guide you can communicate with well enough that you will not miss the boat sailing due to a language problem.

Thinking about your having a easy and fun time, perhaps you should seriously consider having both a driver and guide, or a driver-guide plus an extra strong young man to help with transfers. In Mexico this should not cost very much.
    Good luck. bob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines