Acadia National Park Travel Answers

change location

Ocean front and lobster!!!

by RaymondJung Online Now Jun 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM

My Wife and I would like to spend a week, driving along the coastline with Bar Harbor/ Acadia National Park as our final destination. We are from the Hudson Valley region, NY. We would like to know realistically how much time we need to travel and how much time to spend on each area before we reach Acadia, and back home. We also would like to stay at a nice campground near the coast and visit lobster fishermen who would cook their own catch for us visitor. This is our first time to do land traveling and would like other seasoned traveler to help us make this an wonerful experience. Thanks, Ray

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Ocean front and lobster!!!

by goodfish Online Now Jun 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I can't tell you how long it'll take to drive from where you are but here's the link to the Acadia campground info:

nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/c...

Neither campground is right on the water but they'e only a short walk away.

Acadia is fabulous - we hiked all over it and would do it again in a minute. You'll want to hit a local lobster pound for fresh "bugs". They aren't necessarily cooked by the fishermen who caught them (who are busy nabbing them) but they'll be recently out of the water! We did one right on the water - it was great fun.

We were in Bar Harbor for almost a week and had something with lobster in it every day - chowder, crepes, rolls.... Yum.

See my Acadia pages if interested!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JeanneP's Profile Photo

Re: Ocean front and lobster!!!

by JeanneP Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Hello Ray:

I used to live near Albany too.

Drive on Route One instead of the intersate and you will see lots of Lobster Pounds and Camp Grounds.

The Lobster Pound in Ogunquit Maine is famous among locals.

Foster's Down East in York is a famous spot for tourists. "Eat in the Rough."

Camp Grounds in Wells are OK and they even have "cabins" on Route One in Kennebunkport.

I do not know of any lobsterman who personally cook the lobster for you, though in Kennebunkport you can go out on a boat and watch the men open the traps-- that is mainly for kids.

Enjoy your trip !!!!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines