Abisko Nationalpark Travel Answers

change location

Things to do in beginning of November

by jpt_tan Online Now Oct 8, 2007 at 10:15 AM

I am thinking of going to Abisko NP to see the Northern lights as it is supposed to have clear skies the majority of the time.

As I'm going at the beginning of November and I'm aware that most of the facilities will be closed, I'd just like to check what activities can be done at that time.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Things to do in beginning of November

by Sjalen Online Now Oct 9, 2007 at 7:17 AM

The Abisko fell station will be closed but you can still mail Putte the director and ask him if there are other things to do: www.abisko.nu

Near the fell station you can walk to the famous ravine if the weather is OK even if it is nicer in summer with its rare plants and in winter with its ice sheets. I wouldn't like to walk further when the station is closed (there are lots of other trails).

Apart from that, Abisko is a village too, not just the fell station, and the village is of course open to business as usual even if it is small with little to do (most people come for the scenery). It is true that Abisko is good for northern lights although there are of course areas nearby with a good chance too even if Abisko has clear skies slightly more often. Otherwise Porjus would be good as from there you can visit Jokkmokk with its Sami museum. But then again in Abisko you are relatively close to Kiruna where you can visit the huge mine. There are also whale safaris in Norwegian Narvik if you can afford that.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Abisko Nationalpark