Abha Travel Answers

change location

DSL Internet Providers

by candidkleb Online Now Nov 12, 2005 at 8:55 AM

Hi, Anybody can tell me about DSLinternet service providers in Abha?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • kado's Profile Photo

RE: DSL Internet Providers

by kado Online Now Nov 13, 2005 at 3:12 PM

First step is to make sure you have a direct telephone line (no extension).

Then call 907 (STC), give them your phone number and ask if it can support DSL, as some lines happen to be in congested areas (I have two line in my house one of them supports DSL and the other doesn't).

If the answer is positive, you can order the service (without having to visit their office) - your phone (land-line) should be in your name, they will ask for ID# and record the call.

It costs 120 SR per month, and the line can still use voice by splitting.

They notify you a couple of days later that service is enabled and you have to subscribe with an ISP (saudi net - cyberia ...etc).

Saudi net charge 270SR for one month @256kbps - cyberia charge 300 for same but will have freebies for extended subs of 3 or 6 months.

saudi net can be reached at 800 124 7555 most probably you will find cards available at JARIR Bookstore (if there's one in ABHA).

Hope that helps and good luck...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kado's Profile Photo

RE: RE: DSL Internet Providers

by kado Online Now Nov 13, 2005 at 3:17 PM

You also need to buy the required hardware - ADSL Modem.
    If your PC is not ready you might need to buy an ethernet card for about 50 SR or less.

• DSL Internet Providers

by bathomas Online Now Dec 17, 2008 at 7:40 AM

hey,i'm livin in riyadh and my neighbour just got a dsl connection.he said i can share his connection.i want to know if more than 1 person shares the same connection will the speed be slower?and if i want his connection then will i have to buy cable and connect it to my pc? and if so will i have to buy another modem?or can my neighbour buy a wlan router and can my lap access it without the hassel of cables?

• kado's Profile Photo

Re: DSL Internet Providers

by kado Online Now Jan 5, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Typically a wireless router will enable sharing provided there not so many walls (or ceilings) in between the router and the computer. I am using a brand called Belkin and can share between upstairs & downstairs, but it does get weaker as the distance increases...

Obviously the neighbour will be in control of security settings (unless he's leaving it as an unsecure connection) so he'll have to set you up as a network user (like password ... etc).

Shared browsing for 2 or 3 computers doesn't really affect speed unless there is one particular computer busy doing file download (nonstop)...

hope that helped.

• Re: DSL Internet Providers

by candidkleb Online Now Feb 15, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Thanks a lot.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines