Abergavenny Travel Answers

change location

How to get from Abergavenny to Llanthony

by Cazzibear Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 1:29 AM

Hi there,

I'm a student in Caerleon and i really want to visit the Llanthony Priory, it looks really nice. But being without a car i feel unable to find a way up to this tiny hamlet by bus. I could get to Abergavenny but its a matter of travelling the rest of the way. the traveline wales page dosen't help. does anyone know of any buses that go there? And if so when and where do they leave from?

Thanks! :)

Caz

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

RE: How to get from Abergavenny to Llanthony

by christine.j Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 3:25 AM

If Traveline Wales doesn't show any regular bus, the Brecon Bus might get you to the priory. This bus runs in summer only, so you'd have to wait a few months.It's a bus service especially for hikers and stops at out-of-the-way places.
    Here's the link for the 2006 bus:
    breconbeacons.org/visit_the_...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

RE: RE: How to get from Abergavenny to Llanthony

by leics Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Chances are there isn't a bus; it is, as you say, a tiny hamlet.

You can get a bus to Llanvihangel Crucorney (the X3 from Hereford to Cardiff, and the X4 from Hereford to Abergavenny) but you'll have to walk from there.
    www.stagecoachbus.com has timetables.

It's quite a walk though.......maybe 6 miles each way. www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/ has the OS map available to give you an idea of distances.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

by aaaarrgh Online Now Feb 1, 2007 at 4:52 PM

The attraction of the place is its isolation. We visited Llanthony by private coach as an option for a college project. Unfortunately I had to find an alternative because I dont have a car either and there didn't seem to be a public transport option. Find a mate who has a car!

It is a very magical place, criss-crossed by powerful ley-lines!!

• RE: How to get from Abergavenny to Llanthony

by mendip6 Online Now Feb 2, 2007 at 4:55 AM

The nearest bus stop is at Llanvihangel Crucorney, Llanthony is 7 miles from here along a narrow road, or from Pandy you could walk along Offa's Dyke (about 5 miles)

If the Beacons Bus runs this year as previous years( depends on funding) but ONLY on a Sunday. From Newport or Abergavenny take the bus to Brecon. Last year it left Newport at 9.35. from Brecon take the bus to Hay on Wye, and from Hay on Wye take The Offa's Flyer bus that runs down the llanthony valley, stopping at Capel y ffin, Llanthony Priory and does a circular route via The Golden Valley back to Hay on Wye. Thes buses are all timed to get you back to Brecon to catch the bus back to Abergavenny /Newport. This service normally starts the late May Bank holiday.
    The timetables will be published on www.breconbeacons.org

• Spincat's Profile Photo

by Spincat Online Now Feb 2, 2007 at 11:28 AM

I have walked it in the past on the road from Llanvihangel Crucorney,though the walk on Offa's Dyke would be even nicer. There is a bar and hotel in the ruins of the abbey and there is cheaper accommodation in a bunk house next door. Yes, you must go!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines