Aberdeen Travel Answers

change location
ketch1973's Profile Photo

asian shops/grocers

by ketch1973 Online Now Jun 3, 2008 at 11:27 AM

hi everyone,

i am moving to aberdeen shortly from sydney and have devloped a real taste for asian food since living there. i dont mean the usual indian or westernised chinese restraunt fare but the more authentic styles. can anyone tell me if there are anywhere like that in aberdeen??
i have found the yatai japanese restraunts webpage which looks good. i have also been told about a chinese supermarket called "campbells" in torry. does anyone know if that is still there and if so is it any good? do they have fresh chinese produce there or is it mostly all the dried foods?
i am also intersested in any thai or malaysian market stalls or small shops that may be around the city.

any help is greatly appreciated.
regards,
mike.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • lichtie's Profile Photo

Re: asian shops/grocers

by lichtie Online Now Jun 3, 2008 at 12:07 PM

I use Matthew's Chinese Supermarket in Dundee. I've never been to the Aberdeen branch, but if it is as good as the Dundee one, you should be able to find most ingredients you're looking for.

Here's a link to their webpage with directions to their stores.

matthewsfoods.co.uk/eng_cont...

If you click on the "retail products" tab, you can have a look at their product range.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kevross85's Profile Photo

Re: asian shops/grocers

by Kevross85 Online Now Jun 19, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Sorry for taking so long to reply I haven't been checking the aberdeen forums for some strange reason. There is a good chinese restaraunt called the Manchurian which is just off of the mounthooly roundabout.

A bonus of this is there is also a large supermarket here and I know a lot of the local chinese people eat and shop here. Personnally I've never shopped there but I have ate there and it is definitely not like the traditional western chinese's. Hope that is some help to you and any other questions I can be of help with give me a shout

• Re: asian shops/grocers

by aberdeen07 Online Now Jul 10, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Hi,

Sorry for delay in replying. Campbell's in Torry is still open (it's on Sinclair Road - if you're travelling by bus, get 3,5 or 12 and get off at Victoria Bridge - Sinclair Road is second on left after bus stop).

There are several Asian shops, restaurants and smallish supermarkets on King Street and the upper end of George Street - food from the Middle East, India etc. available.

There's a small takeaway in the Aberdeen Market that sells sushi and Korean dishes (including kim-chi).

There's a Chinese school listed in Aberdeen that might have some useful tips and contacts:

chinese-channel.co.uk/en/com...

You might also be able to contact Asian students through the various clubs/societies at the universities:

University of Aberdeen: www.abdn.ac.uk

Robert Gordon University (RGU): www.rgu.ac.uk

Hope that helps!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines