Aberdeen Travel Answers

change location

thinking about moving to Aberdeen and working in Oil and Gas

by CanadianJay Online Now Aug 29, 2006 at 9:13 AM

I have a ton of questions. I am currently living and working in Calgary, Alberta Canada, but I've always wanted to live overseas. What is a decent Salary in Euros there? Where do people typically live, and is it expensive to live in Aberdeen relative to other cities (if you can compare to Cdn cities that would be great, but don't worry about it if you aren't sure).

I am an oil and gas accountant with 3 yrs experience, what is the job market like there, and do I need to have an offer of employment before I move. How difficult is it to get a work permit/visa?

Is there anything else that you think I should know before I start preparing to do this?

I really appreciate any advice you can give me,

Jay

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • df53's Profile Photo

RE: thinking about moving to Aberdeen and working in Oil and Gas

by df53 Online Now Aug 30, 2006 at 12:38 AM

First thing to do would be make contact with one of the recruitment agencies. you could try the following:
    www.michaelpage.co.uk
    www.asainternational.co.uk
    www.changejobs.net
    I am an accountant and have used agencies before, will email you direct with some specific contact details.

While all of the big companies have a presence there, a lot of the start up companies are actually based in edinburgh. These are the guys who arent drilling in the North Sea but some other exotic place on the globe.

Not sure what your qualifications are but you could perhaps expect a salary of GBP30k depending on certain factors.

Dave

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: thinking about moving to Aberdeen and working in Oil and Gas

by lansovacha Online Now Dec 5, 2006 at 5:26 AM

I am from macedonia.i am searching for a job on oil rig.i have been told that i have to take a course for sruvival on water that is done in aberdeen.can you please gimme some info about that.i dont know the name of the firm:(

• sahel578's Profile Photo

Re: thinking about moving to Aberdeen and working in Oil and Gas

by sahel578 Online Now Jan 22, 2008 at 8:31 AM

My husband's oil and gas firm, Grant Prideco, has a location in Aberdeen. They are always looking for talent, if you want to look them up.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines