Aberdeen Travel Answers

change location

What building is this???

by cslogg Online Now Jul 20, 2006 at 6:01 AM

I was in Aberdeen last week and walked past a disused factory on my way from Jamaica Steet to the City Centre.The factory ( I assume it was a factory) in question had two very tall towers in its grounds,one was a good bit taller then the other.They were round and had a platform and windows around the top.
Has anyone any info on what these towers were for?

Thanks
cslogg

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • saracen's Profile Photo

RE: What building is this???

by saracen Online Now Jul 31, 2006 at 5:44 PM

Hi

If it is the building I am thinking of, I always had the same query about the watchtowers for the 15 years I live in Aberdeen. I never did find the answer though.

I think you are meaning the red brick building on Hutcheon Street? I think it was some form of textile factory in the past, and also involved in the production of paper sacks. Across the road from it, just off the Skene Square roundabout, is a similar red brick building that was a former warehouse, converted about 10 years ago into what at the time were considered executive apartments, a term that always amuses me.

Sorry I can't offer more insight.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • hardclimb's Profile Photo

RE: What building is this???

by hardclimb Online Now Aug 20, 2006 at 7:19 AM

I'm pretty sure the building in Question was the former Broadfords Mill. It produced carpet yarns and knitting wool when I worked there in the late 1980's.
    Previously it was involved in making the outer sheaths for hose-pipes - which were made from Jute. I hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines